Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl XL (aka "John Madden is a Friggin' Idiot")

So, I figure I'm probably under some sort of mild obligation to blog something about the Super Bowl. Except that I really don't care about football in general, much less this game in particular.

So then I figured I might blog a bit about the commercials, except that they mostly sucked this year. There were a few that started great and went south (the car commercial with Kermit the Frog doing extreme outdoor sports), or that started really weak but picked up at the end (the caveman commercial for FedEx that ended with the kicking of the little rat-like dino and the caveman getting squashed "Bambi vs. Godzilla" style). There was only one commercial that was good throughout, I thought -- the MasterCard ad with MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson).

Given the shallowness of those topics, I'll instead pass along this observation. Someone needs to take John Madden's telestrater pen away. And stab him through the skull with it, preferably, because the only thing that was maybe more obnoxious than his telestrating was his actual commentary. I mean, he was starting to sound like the Rain Man in those last few plays, going on about how the Seahawks really needed to "kick the field goal here." Or before that, when he shared (redundantly) that "when you're two touchdowns behind, you have to hurry up with four minutes left; or with one touchdown behind, you hurry up with two minutes left; or with four minutes left, if you're two touchdowns behind."

But that was only the capper on a mind-numbing afternoon of crap spewing from his mouth and pen. At one point, we're told that the father of one of the players, who himself played in a previous Super Bowl, is in the stands today. They cut to a nice, fairly tight shot of the stands, with one guy very clearly centered in the frame. But Madden assumes we must be as dumb as he is, and circles the guy with the telestrater.

At one point, he starts drawing some bit of unnecessary crap, but the camera is already cutting away to some player on the sidelines spitting out a mouth of water. So it appears that Madden has illustrated the path of the spew.

But nothing beat the moment that was like a Saturday Night Live sketch being played out right there on screen, as a replay comes on, Madden circles two players in the backfield, then starts to draw these long, perpendicular lines coming from them, one with a nice curve on the end. The thing is getting waaaaaaaaay too phallic when, just in time, the replay starts and the dirty doodle is erased.

Man, am I glad I watch like one football game a year. I simply couldn't take any more.

6 comments:

TheGirard said...

preach on brutha.

It's a good thing you aren't a sports fan, you'd only be more unimpressed.



wmion

...a woman onion?

Brad said...

I couldn't really hear the TV so I missed a lot of what Madden was saying but even I was annoyed at his teleprompter actions. Take the pen from him!

And the MacGyver commercial rocked!!!1

nmiqzl

not my idiot queen zapping lines

Shocho said...

I liked the Stunt City commmercial the best. The game seemed like just another game to me. Maybe they needed more cameras or something.

GiromiDe said...

I wasn't paying too much attention, but Madden didn't spend as much time masturbating to the thought of Brett Favre as he normally does. I hope Favre's filed that restraining order.

DavĂ­d said...

I haven't been impressed with Madden's color commentary since... ever. At least it was better than Monday Night Football and he and Al Michaels weren't doing as much whoring out of ABC's shows and whatever celebrity topic du jour they normally do.

As for Super Bowl commercials, my favorite was the Sprint locker room (crime deterrent) commercial. The humor was just executed very well. The Ameriquest flight commercial was also well done and the Budweiser streaker and Careerbuilder donkey ads were good, but only as part of their respective ad campaigns.

All the Superbowl commericals are available at AOL.

MUT Coins said...

There's no doubt that EZMUT may be the greatest option. I bought MUT 21 Coins 3 occasions in EZMUT, and every buy is a good encounter for me. And their price tag is undoubtedly the least expensive on the industry, you can go to EZMUT's official site to evaluate it with other on the internet retailer.