Wednesday, August 09, 2006

48 Hours

Forgive me, but I'm going to get a bit maudlin tonight.

My grandfather died this morning. It came up relatively early, by modern standards, at just a bit past 70. It also came up rather suddenly. Just three weeks ago, he was fairly active. Then he started having extreme muscle fatigue that quickly wore him down. (I don't have the exact details of what happened. I'm not even sure if my grandmother and the doctors know, either.)

I don't bring this up seeking condolences. Sadly, all of us have lost or will lose family -- it's part of the package. I bring it up to make a point about how monumental a time 48 hours can be.

See, my grandfather lived in Indianapolis. The GenCon game convention is being held there this weekend, I am going there on a work trip starting tomorrow. I'd talked to my grandparents just this past weekend to tell them I was coming, and we had already made plans -- Friday night, after my work for the day at the convention was finished, we were going to be getting together for dinner, them, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Barely 48 hours from when I got the news today.

There are times when a day or two can fly by at breakneck speed. Don't take it for granted. There are other times when a day or two can crawl by like they'll never end. And though circumstances might make you think that's a bad thing, it isn't. Either way, 48 hours can make a world of difference.

That's all I'm trying to say.

So, as I mentioned... I'm leaving for GenCon tomorrow morning. Which means you'll have to last through the weekend with no new Heimlich Maneuvers. I'd planned to leave on a sillier note, but... well... every now and then you get something more thought provoking.

9 comments:

Brad said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

TheGirard said...

I hope he lived a full and happy life. I am sorry Evan.

GiromiDe said...

You have my condolences. I need to call my grandparents more.

Anonymous said...

man that's rough. sorry for your loss. both my pairs of grandparents passed away when I was a lot younger. :(

but hope you have a good time at the convention. I know it's "work" for you, but try and do a few cool things while you're there

the mole

Shocho said...

Well, that's a terrible shame. A few years ago, we went home to see my Mom and worked out some financial details. When we got home, Brian told us that she passed away the day after we left. Okay, this is gonna sound silly, but tragedies are bad enough without lousy timing.

Yes, everyone call your parents and grandparents! I'm fresh out of both, and I wish I could call each of them today.

Sorry for your loss, Evan, you and yours will be in our thoughts.

Aabh said...

I know you know it, but it never hurts to hear me say it, I'm here if you need me, give me a call. Except for picking up Maia tomorrow at Shin Moriya and going to the electronics store to pick up a new battery, I should be here. Give me a call if you want or need to talk. You were there for me when I went through this.

Trundling Grunt said...

Sorry to hear that Evan.

I'll be down at Gencon tomorrow - hopefully I'll bump into you.

Kathy said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

My condolences, Evan.