Monday, August 07, 2006

The Perfect Suck

This week, the movie World Trade Center is opening in theaters. This movie basically has a full trifecta of reasons I don't have any interest in seeing it whatsoever. (Or, as my friend put it: this movie is "The Perfect Suck.")

First, it's directed by Oliver Stone. I suppose I have to admit that it's possible I haven't given this guy's films a chance. I've hardly seen any. But the opinions I've heard from those I trust give me no feeling that my snap judgments here are off base.

Second, it stars Nicholas Cage. This guy annoyed me in Raising Arizona when I saw it in theaters over 15 years ago, and he's never let up since. He has this "movie star" way about him, where he doesn't so much become a different character in a movie as the characters all become him. I can't stand watching him.

And finally (as you might have guessed), there's the subject matter. I simply don't want to see it. I don't believe this film can add anything to my knowledge of and feeling about the events that I don't already have.

Now, don't mistake me for being part of the "it's too soon" crowd. My feeling is basically this: it's not "too soon" as long as there's anyone out there who thinks it's not. A movie is not made for everyone; its audience will be some portion of the population at large. And the bulk of the population who, say, don't like Star Trek movies didn't stop ten of them from getting made just because they didn't want to see them. The same applies here; just because there are some people out there who think it's too soon shouldn't stop the movie from being available to the portion of the people -- the intended audience -- who think it's not.

But I'm not in that portion, for the three reasons cited above. Those of you who are planning to hit the theaters for this, I hope you get what you're looking for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this movie falls into the category of "I can't wait for this to be in theatres already! so they can stop playing those darn commercials!" I must watch a lot of shows where they advertise movies every single break, and every so often they really pound one into your head. "You... are... our... mission!" man I'm sick of hearing that!!

the mole

and on a side-note most horror movies have annoying commercials, too. with the quick violence cuts and music (noise?) hits...

Anonymous said...

1) I agree with you very much that it's not too soon. I think like most people, I just hope it's respectfully done. If it turns out to be "Die Hard: WTC"... well, that just seems morbid.

2) Also, you must be crazy abut not liking Nick Cage. Give him a try again. I just caught The Weather Man on my Netflix and despite poor box office returns, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Shocho said...

Oliver Stone doesn't make movies that I want to see. Everything I've seen that he's done I haven't liked. LWC wants to see it, so we may actually go to the theater and watch two different movies.

GiromiDe said...

If this movies even entertains those wacky conspiracy theories about 9/11...

You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that use "photographic evidence" to "prove" that bombs were set off in the buildings themselves after the planes crashed into them. The ones that say no planes actually crashed.

That son-of-a-bitch twisted my understanding of history with JFK.

TheGirard said...

How un-American of you!!!



;)

Trundling Grunt said...

I'm at best indifferent to Oliver STone movies, but I haven't seen a Nicholas Cage film that I liked and can remember - The Weatherman was dreadfully unfunny, Lord of War just sucked, Face Off, National Treasure??? He just stands there looking alternatively angry and confused.

As to the subject matter - I can't say whether it's too early or not. That's a purely personal matter. It's just not a subject I'm in any hurry to go to the movies for. And I'm allowed to be unamerican.