Monday, August 21, 2006

Break Back

It's still August, and most of the summer TV series aren't having their season finales until this coming weekend. Nevertheless, the fall TV season kicked off tonight on FOX with the premieres of Prison Break and Vanished.

I don't think too many of my blog readers are Prison Break viewers, so I won't go into 24-esque detail commenting on the episode. (Shame if you aren't watching it, though -- I honestly enjoyed it more than season five of 24.) But I do have to make a few comments.

It will be interesting to see if the writers can make the show as suspenseful and tense this year as they did in year one. The environment has changed, which will definitely challenge them. I didn't feel as on the edge of my seat tonight as I did in the final few episodes of last season.

Nevertheless, I was very entertained. William Fichtner is going to be an awesome addition to the show. Playing the "Tommy Lee Jones role" (or, if you go way back, the "Barry Morse role"), they've already set up his character as an intellect worthy to pursue our hero, Michael Scofield. And the actor plays him perfectly. His series last season, Invasion, amounted to about 5 minutes of interesting television per every two or three episodes, and I wasn't sorry to see it get canceled. Now I'm even happier, because he has ended up on Prison Break.

We'll see how they carry on in the weeks ahead.

Oh, and a quick footnote about the new show FOX ran afterward, Vanished. Not terrible, but not very engaging either. I might give it one or two more episodes, simply because FOX has started their season weeks ahead of everyone else, and so there's nothing else on. (This was surely their plan.) Nevertheless, if it doesn't show immediate improvement, I'll be cutting it loose. There's an "encore performance" of the pilot episode tomorrow night, if you missed it. But at the moment, I'm going to have to say you didn't miss much if you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I for one vote for detailed comments on Prison Break as well. (Hell, maybe it'll convince those who don't watch it to do so.)
The premiere was good, although there seemed to be some writing problems in the fact that nobody I know was sad to see Veronica go. (Come on, they probably hoped the audience would at least go "Oh dang.")

Vanished was, well, interesting, but nothing more. I thought the writing was pretty weak and the casting a bit screwy (how come both of the senator's children look so much like their mother-in-law??).
I don't know. I might watch episode 2, but I doubt I'll go beyond that.

FKL