Sunday, August 27, 2006

And the Emmy Goes To...

The Emmy Awards were presented tonight. In the past, I've been known to do some blow-by-blow commentary on these kinds of awards shows, but I'm gonna pass tonight, as it just wasn't that interesting.

As far as the show itself, Conan O'Brien was a very funny host, and almost every bit involving him worked. Almost every other "joke" landed with a dull thud. (The sole exceptions, in my mind, were Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, presenting the Reality TV away, and Bob Newhart, the perfect -- perhaps only -- man to have pulled off the "trapped in an air-tight tube" gag).

I don't have too much to say about the awards themselves, either. In many cases, the winners of categories were just as nonsensical as the bizarre nominations themselves. (I join Stephen Colbert in his anguish over losing to Barry Manilow.) But there were a few welcome winners. The Office was a deserving Best Comedy Series, and it was nice to see 24 finally take home the prize (even if I did enjoy earlier seasons of the show more).

But enough of the awards. I'm ready for the shows themselves to actually return (mostly, next month).

5 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Ditto.

All of Conan's stuff worked. The opening segment was impressive -- utilizing the exact style and cinematography of each series. ("Kiefer.") I think the best bit was the introduction of the accounting team.

Bob Newhart remains the Master of the Comedically Subtle. Our generation (those born in the 70s) may look fondly upon Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, and Dave Chappelle, but we would be wise to put Bob Newhart somewhere in that pantheon. Anyone who can make a one-sided phone conversation hilarious is on to something.

Each year, the Emmys remind me of how much television I don't watch. There's way too much television programming. It's not like all of these broadcast and cable networks are islands -- they are all tied to larger media companies. Does TNT garnering more Emmys really hurt NBC?

I'm shocked that The West Wing and Will & Grace received almost no swan song nods. After Everybody Loves Raymond stole a few Emmys from Arrested Development last year, I was certain those two shows would rack up the awards.

I don't see how 24 could win. I know Evan loves it while he recognizes it's not as good as the first couple of seasons. It's like Gladiator winning Best Picture.

One theme of the night was killed-off characters appearing on stage for their respective shows. Carlos Bernard stood up with the 24 cohorts. I spotted a few more, but I don't remember the specific. Also, a few cancelled shows won awards, though Arrested Development missed all of them.

Props to The Office guys bowing to Gervais and Merchant, who couldn't be on stage as they were there for Extras. Also, Jenna Fischer is the hottest actress on television. My wife thinks John Krasinski is the hottest actor, so The Office helps us both.

Anonymous said...

speaking about returning shows.... I caught the season-three-is-coming-soon commercial for Battlestar Galactica. and against my usual "close eyes, cover ears, and hum" avoidance of spoilers I watched it. and oh man it looked great. coming back in October...

the mole

Aussie-Askew said...

Haven't caught much of this, so sad to hear Arrested Development got no nods. How did Denis Leary fare for the excellent Rescue Me?

Been scouring YouTibe for some of the Colbert presentation, and the Conan intro. Having found it yet... point me to it if any of you have located it.

And did you catch this image of The Office crew posing? I swear Carrel is still in character.

Cant wait for the BSG either, and love the Gladiator! What would you have prefered that year Giromide? I presume Traffic?

DrHeimlich said...

No win for Denis Leary -- Kiefer Sutherland took the Best Actor in a Drama award.

DavĂ­d said...

Here is Conan's opening to the Emmys on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCOUgjECtI