Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sweeter With Age

There is the sweetest old woman working as a ticket-tearer at the movie theater I usually go to.

It doesn't seem to matter what time of day I go to the movies; she's always there. When I caught Clerks II on Friday night a few weeks ago, then came back the next morning for the first showing of Lady in the Water, she was there both times.

It doesn't matter what I'm going to see; she always has an enthusiastic comment about the film as she tears my ticket. And here's the part where she goes from just being an old woman to being a sweet old woman:

(tearing my Lady in the Water ticket): "This is supposed to be delightful. Enjoy your movie."

(tearing my Superman Returns ticket): "People are saying this is so exciting! Enjoy the show!"

She had always been just "one of the people in my neighborhood" that I never really thought twice about until the night she made this comment:

(tearing my Clerks II ticket): "Oh, I've heard this is so funny. I hope you enjoy it."

I couldn't help but stop short and think. Really? She just didn't strike me as the sort of person I could ever picture in a Kevin Smith movie. It got me thinking about all the possibilities. Maybe she is the sort of person who'd be there, and I'm totally misjudging her on superficial traits. Maybe she's just lying through her teeth as a form of customer service, and is really good at it.

Or, maybe she's just a really sweet old woman.

2 comments:

Shocho said...

She said she "heard it was funny," so she didn't have to have seen it. She's like an exit poll, except that she only gives good news. Which is nice.

Brad said...

now, if she said, "I hope you enjoy the ass to mouth jokes."