Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Come On, We Didn't Mean It

Getting into a new place to live is going to be good. Packing and moving is going to suck, of course, because moving just sucks. Period. But there are little moments of joy to be taken from the process. Like tonight, when I found a letter from my apartment management hanging on my front door.

Last Saturday, I had to give my 30-day notice of my intention not to renew my lease on my current apartment. They asked me to fill out a short couple papers, bla bla bla.

The letter I found tonight read, in a nutshell, "oh, we're sorry our stupid practices are driving you away! Please stay here!" They oh-so-magnanimously informed me they were not going to raise my rent as much as they'd said before, and would also let me re-sign for a shorter lease term if I would please just consider staying.

What's especially funny was that walking up my steps to my place on the third floor, I saw two envelopes with the same handwriting on the outside attached to two other doors just in my building alone. It seems maybe this apartment complex has a mass exodus on its hands.

Imagine -- when the housing market is in the cellar, you can't charge higher rent than a typical monthly mortgage would amount to. Who knew?!

4 comments:

TMac said...

You're buying a condo right? If you're buying a place you haven't picked out yet and you've already given 30 days notice to your apartment, that's cutting it a little close.

Buying a place takes a little bit of time, I hope it all works out.

Roland Deschain said...

LOL...you're kidding. Something finally woke those people up to the fact that they've been acting like pigfarkers toward their tenants? I know it's why I left there!

Hell, my place left a bunch of candy on my door along with a note telling me that I'd only be getting on average a $10/month increase - and that'll be offset by the $100 off in May if I re-sign by the 26th.

And they called last night to make sure I got it ok.

I love this place...just as much as I loathe every person running your place. (Sorry!)

Run, Dr.!

Sangediver said...

Yet another example of business owners ignoring the basics of supply and demand.

"You mean I can't force people to pay more when there are cheaper alternatives just because I don't think I'm making enough?"

BTW, I'm busy the weekend you're moving ;)

DrHeimlich said...

tmac -- Yeah, we've been watching the schedules as I've been looking, and yeah, it's going to be a little tight. But things do look to be on course for me to be in the new place before I have to be out of the old place.

Roland -- I really must come see your new place some time. It's sounds Shangri-la.

Sangediver -- (grin) YOU have permission to be busy. I have yet to help you move. :-) But plenty of others are actually in "mover's debt" to me right now... :-)