Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Zorro Subject

Today, I finally got around to seeing the movie Zorro, The Gay Blade. Mind you, this was never that high on my "to do" list, but it's been there for something like 10 to 15 years, since someone in my circle of friends first fired off a quote from this unusual and somewhat obscure film.

I think I'm being honest when I say I had not built up a decade's worth of expectation for this movie. I simply wanted to finally have seen it. I figured on a few laughs, at least. And that's exactly what I got... a few laughs, with a fair amount of dead time in between.

It really comes across like a Mel Brooks film that Mel Brooks never got around to making himself. It's that same kind of recipe -- a dash of slapstick, a pinch of making jokes at the expense of foreign accents, a reasonable (but not extraordinary) story actually holding the jokes in place. Actually, I suppose you could say Mel Brooks did almost make this film many years later, when he did "Robin Hood: Men in Tights." It had very much the same sensibility, and very much the same sort of laugh-to-silence ratio. (Mel Brooks' last decent movie was Spaceballs, and even that was not as good as his earlier work.)

George Hamilton basically makes the movie with his ridiculous dual role (for which, if you can believe this, he was actually nominated for a Golden Globe), though coming in a close second is the costume designer, whose great work makes you laugh more than anything else in the film.

I don't know if it's really worth the time to watch the movie, but hey, now at least I'm in on the joke the next time someone talks about the "pippoles," or asks if something was "green like a lime," or cautions that it is "worse to be poor than to dress poorly."

Is it worth your time to be in on the joke, if you haven't seen the movie before? Well, you decide. Do you feel like sitting through a D+ movie for a half dozen good laughs?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that the pipples will be very sad when they read this.

GiromiDe said...

Do you know your bowels? A, E, I, O, Ju?

Unknown said...

I watched this movie for the first time several months ago for exactly the same reason. My review... "meh". I don't think there was one laugh-out-loud moment, or even really a hardy snicker. Maybe it was already knowing all the "great" lines or whatever but I thought it was dull. Also, the actor who played the bad guy was soooooo over the top I just couldn't watch any scene with him in it without cringing. (But don't tell the monkeydiver or the doglover I said so).

Sangediver said...

I still love it, no matter what you pipple say. It's more about the memories of watching it, and the repeating of the jokes for years.

Kind of like "And NOW a warning?!" That's the best part of that pile of monkey poo...