Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rest in McPeace

In today's "fill some space" news, the inventor of the Egg McMuffin died today. It's weird, but I never really imagined the Egg McMuffin as something that had to be invented. Not that I'm saying cavemen were drawing on cave walls and putting eggs and Canadian bacon on English muffins. But nearly every fast food place has some form of "breakfast sandwichy thingie" -- they're just ubiquitous, like oxygen, or sunshine, or something else, you know... not invented.

I wonder if this is a generational thing? According to the article, the invention happened in 1972. So there has never been a time in my life where there weren't Egg McMuffins. Is my reaction to this just like a high school kid today who hasn't ever seen a rotary phone, or a television with dials on it, or what have you?

Anyway, I salute you, Mr. Egg McMuffin Inventor. Because breakfast is the only thing remotely edible that they serve at McDonald's.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I (being the old fart that I am) kind of remember not having breakfast sandwichy thingies being so prolific as they are now. Which is NOT to say I remember the day in 1972 when the thing was "invented".

Unlike oxygen or sunshine (which, it could be argued, were invented... just not by a human being. God or aliens with their "Sunstartomatic 5000s" but now I'm completely digressing, where was I?) Ah yes, unlike oxygen or sunshine which existed before us, someone had to at least come up with the idea of a McMuffiny thing.

That being said I would hardly put it in the category of an invention, and I would argue that someone else probably came up with something similar first (like any recipe... who "invented" pasta for pity's sake). It's like celebrating the "inventor" of the word "woot". Yes, someone used it first, but hardly worth mentioning when it really comes down to it.

Now I've gone on for quite a while on this subject it leads me to a question... is there a term for "making a comment on a blog post that is longer than the original post"? If not... I would like to "invent" the term combose. (But I see that is already in use... darn the internet) how about vomment. Crap... someone beat me to it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vomment