Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hot Commodity

Sometimes, the universe provides in very strange ways.

I was recently watching junky television with one of my friends working on the play I just saw, and she was talking about how their company's creative director is searching for the next play to mount. She told me that he was apparently starting to get excited about this one particular mystery play he'd been reading until he neared the end.

It seems a hot tub figures inextricably into the finale of the story. A hot tub, right there on the stage, filled with water and everything. An "I really wanted to write a screenplay, but for some crazy reason, I turned it into a play instead, so now I've got something you can't really do easily in a small budget theater" hot tub.

We had a laugh about it, and then the thought fell completely out of my mind.

Only a day later, I'm having a gaming evening with other friends of mine, one of whom has a dumpster business. Out of the blue, he says to me, "do you know anybody who wants a hot tub?"

I do a complete double take. As I'm staring blankly at the coincidence, he explains that someone has just had him pick up and haul off a perfectly usable, intact hot tub.

So I got back in touch with the first friend and told her, "I don't know if you were actually, seriously considering the hot tub play... and I can't do anything about the whole maintaining a full hot tub in your theater aspect... but if you want it, I know where to get you a hot tub."

Ultimately, it seems the hot tub play wasn't really clever enough to warrant the effort. Thanks, but no thanks. But we all had a nice "what the hell?" at the universe deciding to spit out a hot tub on cue.

So, next thought: "boy... I sure could use a million dollars."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but what happened to the poor little Hot Tub? did it find a home? where's the ending to the story? :P

the mole

oh and um, I was um, going to write a play too, and um, it was going to require a classic Corvette right on the stage. I'll settle for that. um, for the play of course...

DrHeimlich said...

I guess I left out the "ending" because there isn't much of one. I believe the hot tub is probably already in the landfill even now.