Saturday, March 08, 2008

Now You're Cooking with Bleach

My apartment lease is coming to an end once again, and once again it's bringing another rent increase. This one finally feels like "the last straw!!!", so I've started to look around, entertaining the notion of getting my own place.

I went on a whirlwind tour of condos this afternoon, and I saw a lot of crazy crap. The photo at the right isn't actually one from my explorations today, but it's an example I found on the nets that shows what I think is one of the craziest things of all -- a washer/dryer in your kitchen.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty groggy in the mornings sometimes. It doesn't happen often, but I can recall once or twice in my life where I've been getting a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and I've put the milk away in the cupboard and the cereal away in the refrigerator. (I figured it out before walking away, but I did get as far as closing both doors!)

What unfortunate possibilities get added there when you throw a washer and dryer into the mix?!

Now, at least in this photo here, there appears to be a door that closes on this stacked washer/dryer. I actually saw one place today that didn't even have that much -- just here's your refrigerator, next to it, your laundry.

And door or no door, do you really want to be keeping detergents, bleach, and who knows what else, that close to where you're preparing your food?

Lunacy!

5 comments:

Jason said...

My apartment is actually laid out similarly. In fact, if you go down to the second post on my blogger blog, you can see two pics of my apartment. Those doors next to my fridge? Yep, the washer and dryer are behind those. No disasters yet, after nearly three years.

DrHeimlich said...

At least you've got a door. The places where they're just sitting right there?! Crazy!

DrHeimlich said...

At least you've got a door. The places where they're just sitting right there?! Crazy!

Anonymous said...

they snuck a rent increase on me just this month in the middle of my lease. our apartments had it's own satellite TV system which only cost $32 a month. well they decided to "upgrade" to digital cable and now I either loose like 30 channels or I have to pay $51 a month to get about what I got for my $32.

I know what you feel like with the last straw thing...

the mole

Anonymous said...

Most appartment in Québec are actually laid out that way, although the appliances are usually not that close to each other.
For instance, in my kitchen (which is pretty big for an appartment kitchen), I've got the stove, the diswasher and the fridge on one side, and washer and dryer on the other side.
Comes in handy when you have to do three or four things at once. :)

FKL