Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Brilliant But Cancelled

Shocho recently offered a link to a somewhat questionable list of the 50 Greatest TV Shows. While I haven't quite got the energy to muster building a list of my own right now, I did decide on a halfway measure I could offer up:

The Top 10 Shows That Only Lasted One Season
or 10 Most Brilliant-But-Cancelled

I wish I could claim to have spent a lot of time on this, but the truth is, I got this mostly looking through my DVD collection. Nevertheless, I think it's a pretty worthy batch of entries.

#10 - Undeclared

Before everything Judd Apatow touched turned to gold, everything he touched turned to cancelled. This half-hour comedy about a group of college students had a great mix of humor and heart, and starred several of the actors who to this day remain part of the Apatow Acting Company. There were some missteps here and there in the stunt casting of some comedians I'm not particularly fond of (Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler), but hey, a struggling show does what it can to survive.

#9 - Miracles

Many TV fans think of Jericho and the infamous "nuts campaign" when they think of Skeet Ulrich. But many years earlier, he was the star of this very strange, very cool, often unsettling little show that should have been the heir to The X-Files throne. It had a similar format of a believer and a skeptic paired together to investigate unexplained occurences. The significant difference was a major one: while The X-Files dealt with the supernatural, Miracles revolved around religious... well... miracles. This difference permeated every detail of the series, leading to provocative discussions of faith and God. The show kept getting better as it produced more episodes, but it was sadly cut down after just one year.

#8 - Action

This show starred Jay Mohr as a scumbag Hollywood producer, screwing people over to further his own career. The show was crass and funny and brilliant. It aired on FOX, making extensive use of bleeping. It should have run on HBO in all its glory. And if it had, I'm quite positive it would have enjoyed a five or six season run.

#7 - American Gothic

This show was almost too cool for words. It's set in a small North Carolina town where the sheriff is the Devil himself. Well, perhaps not quite literally -- the show remains slightly vague on this -- but certainly an embodiment of pure evil, and vested with supernatural powers to further his agenda. Gary Cole played this character, and made every single second of screen time an absolute joy to watch. The cast also included Sarah Paulson (long before Studio 60) and Jake Weber (long before his largely thankless role on Medium). The show had a compelling, serialized story. And best of all, this one season wonder has an ending! The producers saw the writing on the wall, and rather than roll the dice on "maybe we'll get renewed," they decided to roll the dice on "we'll figure out what to do with a season two if we get one."

#6 - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Speaking of Studio 60, here it is. There's no question that this show wasn't as great as The West Wing or Sports Night (which ran two seasons, so it can't make this list). Still, it was a little slice of near-perfection. The show had some kinks to work out early, but it finally did, finding the right balance of comedy and drama, the right level of focus on the "show within the show," and how much Hollywood-ese to portray. But, by the time it had figured all this out, no one was watching. It's still a great place to see Matthew Perry do something other than Chandler Bing, and other great work by Steven Weber, Amanda Peet, Timothy Busfield, Sarah Paulson and more. (And perhaps the biggest shock, Nate Corddry, formerly from The Daily Show, shows some decent acting chops too!)

#5 - Police Squad!

Before The Naked Gun, Leslie Nielsen played Frank Drebin in this half-hour series. Truth be told, it might be a good thing that this show didn't actually make it, because I think it likely the schtick would have worn out pretty quickly. But since it only ran six episodes, each one of them is loaded with more rapid fire jokes than even the spin-off movies deliver per minute. Very funny stuff.

#4 - Wonderfalls

Before Bryan Fuller made Pushing Daisies, he created the equally quirky Wonderfalls, the tale of a misanthrope souvenir-shop employee who sees knick knacks all around her come to life, prodding her into doing good deeds. Actually, on many levels, you could call this Pushing Daisies "season zero," the sensibilities are so similar. But the show also had this sort-of Quantum Leap vibe, especially funny because the "heroine" was so reluctant (to put it mildly).

#3 - Profit

Adrian Pasdar (now known for Heroes) lights up the screen as the most rat bastard central character ever to appear on television. Today, after Swearingen on Deadwood, or House (on House... duh), it doesn't seem unusual to have a character ranging anywhere from mean to evil as the protagonist of a television show. But in the 90s, it was so revolutionary, it only lasted 9 episodes. There's a lot of computer-related material in this show that looks laughably dated today, but in every other respect, this show is phenomenal, and could probably find success if launched today. This show is just dark, disturbed, and demented, and I love every minute of it.

#2 - Freaks and Geeks

Before Judd Apatow failed with Undeclared, he failed with Freaks and Geeks. Starring more members of the Apatow Acting Company, this show focused on high school students coping with the pressures of teenage life. It had lots of humor and heart. It's hard to describe this show in any way that doesn't come off sounding like Undeclared, and on paper, about the only major difference is that this show was an hour long instead of 30 minutes. But all the parts just clicked better in this show. The sentiment is more genuine, the laughs funnier, and perhaps the setting more relatable (for those who grew up in the 80s, anyway). It's a perfect season of television.

#1 - Firefly

If you didn't know this was going to be #1, then you A) have never watched this show, and B) haven't really been reading my blog very long. To date, this is Joss Whedon's master work. Brilliant as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were (and they were!), this show transcends them. It's simply unbelievable that a show could fire so perfectly on all cylinders so quickly. The cast was phenomenal, the writing matched, and in general this feels as polished and natural as many shows in their third or fourth seasons (traditionally, the golden years). I think I could watch this series from beginning to end, one episode every night, for the rest of my days and never get tired of it.

So, there you have it. Challenges? Alternate suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

8 comments:

Sangediver said...

Ah American Gothic, I loved that show. Plus I've been to the creepy cemetery they filmed at!

can't say I;ve seen many of the others except Wonderfalls and of course Firebug.

From what I remember I liked Earth 2, but my memories of that show are a definite haze.

Anonymous said...

I have but one comment: this is one more reason for me to hate the fact that we live so far apart. 'Cause I'd be borrowing some of those babies...

FKL

Unknown said...

I've only seen Studio 60 (had some moments, but not fantastic in my opinion), Wonderfalls (#2 on my list), Freaks and Geeks (more on that in a bit) and the obvious (which is #1 on my list as well). Well, and I've seen a Naked Gun movie so I think that may count as having seen Police Squad.

About Freaks and Geeks....
I Netflixed this a while back and watched 3 episodes before I gave up. I wanted to watch more because so many of my friends think this was such a great show, but I just couldn't get past the boredom. Are the later episodes much better than the first three (and I should try again with later episodes), or do you think they are all about equally good and you and I just disagree?

Have you ever seen a show called Brimstone? If not, I don't think you ever will... I haven't ever found it on DVD. It features John Glover as the devil and I think he does a great job.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in where you would place the various Star Treks on your list of favorite shows.

it might be hard to make a list of favorite shows because BSG is "da bomb" right now but boy did I watch The Smurfs growing up...

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

I loved the atmosphere of American Gothic and it was just fun.

Freaks & Geeks and Miracles - never seen them, so I can't pass judgement.

Action - I loved that show, but I think it might have lacked on HBO if it was uncensored. The sheer fact that you have a character that crass and blunt and then have the audacity to censor him...that just made it funnier to me.

Undeclared - It had a couple moments, but I'm starting to discover that I'm just overall not a fan of most of Judd Apatow's work.

Police Squad - Humor that Scary Movie and Meet the Spartans will never hold a candle to.

Studio 60 - I appreciate the talent that Aaron Sorkin has as a writer. He does an amazing job of setting up situations and giving actors a character that they can get their teeth into. I tend to have the problem that I find his politics nearly overpowering in almost everything he writes and the final product goes from entertaining to preachy - thus I skip it.

Wonderfalls - quirky and intelligent. It had to die.

Firefly - Intelligent, well written, and a different view of sci-fi that doesn't include aliens, language translators and such - it had to die.

Profit - I love LOVE LOVE it when the bad guy gets away with stuff.

Anonymous said...

MIRACLES was awesome! But, I would like to tweak your summary of the show. Miracles also dealt with all the supernatural aspects that X-Files dealt with, just without the alien sub-plot. The religious undertone was the connecting force to each episode, but the stand alone episodes were not all 'religious' persay. LOVED that show and Skeet and Angus had awesome chemistry. They need to bring it back.

GiromiDe said...

The parodies of Police Squad are slightly dated as they poke fun at what were television conventions at the time, but I think they still carry some currency. The show probably would have lost momentum after another half dozen episodes. After all, how much longer could they have listed every criminal they threw in Statesville Prison?

My politics hardly line up with Mr. Sorkin's, but I really enjoyed the first few genuine Sorkin seasons of The West Wing as well as its last season. Studio 60 simply held no interest for me. I gave it several tries but just wasn't as easily immersed in that world as I was in The West Wing. I think 30 Rock is a much better approach -- plus Alec Baldwin makes the show.

DrHeimlich said...

Let's see:

Sangediver -- I remember not liking Earth-2 very much at the time, but it's been a while, so I can't claim to remember today anything at all I would have liked or not liked about it.

Snarky Smurf -- I was aware of Brimstone, but have never seen it. I don't think it is out on DVD.

The Mole -- On an overall list of TV shows, I'm certain Deep Space Nine would rank in the top 10. The Next Generation would make a top 50, but I couldn't begin to guess where. Perhaps the original series would crack a top 100. Voyager and Enterprise can vanish in a hole.

Giromide -- If the politics of Sorkin sometimes trouble you, I'd recommend Sports Night all the more. I think it's the least political of his series.