Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cay-less

The friend who recently visited me is an enthusiastic board game player. Even more than I am. So while he was here, I got to play a number of games -- some new, some old; some I had here, and some he brought with him.

One of those many games was Caylus Magna Carta, the "simplified," card game version of Caylus. I'm a big fan of Caylus -- it's one of my favorite new games released in the past couple years. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Magna Carta version, though. On the one hand, I was eager to try out a cousin of a game I like. On the other, Puerto Rico (another game I love) spawned a card game version, San Juan, that was a pretty pale shadow of the original.

In my opinion, there's not really any appreciable difference between Caylus Magna Carta and the original. And this is both a compliment and a criticism. It uses a lot of the great mechanics from the original game. But if it really was supposed to be simpler, more quickly paced, and just generally "lighter" than Caylus, I sure didn't see it in the game I played. Our three player game took around 90 minutes.

I certainly had fun playing it, but in about the same 90 minutes, I could have played Caylus itself instead. That would have offered a little more strategic depth and a little more smoothness to the game mechanics. It's not that I wouldn't play Caylus Magna Carta again... I just can't see myself playing it any place or time that the original was available instead.

Caylus Magna Carta is a fine enough game, but if you have it, there's no need to get Caylus -- and vice versa. And if you have neither, I'd recommend the original.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. I was very surprised it ended up taking that long.
And what's the deal with the Provost? That mechanic doesn't quite work. In our game, NOBODY ended up paying to move the Provost, no matter what.

FKL

Anonymous said...

My memory is shaky regarding the use of the Provost in the card game: is it any different than the board version?

In Caylus, Provost movement can be quite important to deny resources to an opponent if he is short in money, or to force him to pay money to make sure his production is safe if he is before you in the playing order and on a "late" building.

JL

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, in the card game, the Provost moves two "spaces" down the road on every turn, which is more than enough to enable all the actions you might wish to take.

In any case, I think I see the card game as a sort of Travel Caylus rather than a Caylus Light.

FKL