Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Call for Rinks

If you're a fan of roller skating, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. A few weeks ago, I talked about a local place that's had a skating rink in it for around 20 years. I mentioned that it had recently undergone another change of ownership, but looked basically untouched on the outside.

I've now learned that's not the case on the inside.

Spurred by my friend FKL to investigate whether the rink was actually still there, I made a few phone calls and learned that it has now been replaced by Go Karts. And so now, officially, I don't know of any skating rinks still around my neck of the woods.

Of course, I stand by what I said in my last post -- I'm not sure I see the appeal. And yet despite that, I still have just this tiny twinge of nostalgic sadness over the "passing of the skating rink." Maybe it's because I actually did go there a few times way back and the day, and it's some kind of weird "loss of something from my youth" feeling. Maybe not.

Anyway, in the interests of bringing my loyal readers the truth, I thought I should issue this sort of retraction about the state of the local skating rink.

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

huh. That's sad in a way but I personally wouldn't have ever noticed its passing. Although I am somewhat intrigued as to how they're pulling off go karts there...hmm...

Anonymous said...

And now there's but one decent rink in the Montreal area, and it's used for Bingo most of the time. I think we can go skate there only on Sunday afternoons.
Damn.

FKL

PS: And my captcha for today is "gasuul," which sounds to me like it could have been one of the critters from Ghostbusters.

Roland Deschain said...

After doing a little research, I've found 2 (TWO) places in Denver that skating is still available. One is actually a health club out in Stapleton...so it doesn't really count.

The other one is an honest to goodness skating rink up in Arvada...and according to the sites that track roller rinks, it may be the last real one...

http://www.usonwheels.com/

Sangediver said...

Nothing like gas powered engines inside. Throw in a little beer and you've got a pre-cancerous, demolition derby ready to roll!