Friday, May 16, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

If you check my blog in the morning, then this post comes late. Sorry 'bout that... I'm fortunate to be having a good friend visit from out of town right now that I haven't seen in a few years. So it's only now that I'm getting around the getting down my thoughts on this week's new episode.

I very much enjoyed the episode, but by the same token, it was actually the first hour of what has ultimately been conceived of as a three-hour finale (with the final two coming back to back in two weeks). And so it very much came across like an incomplete thought.

Still, despite the fact that it felt like leaving off in the middle of a book chapter rather than at the end of one, there was a lot to like. I believe aside from Claire, every cast member had some role in the episode, and most of them were good. There were lots of outstanding little character moments.

Kate getting off the plane in the future, watching all the others receive love from their family, and her with no one.

Hurley's parents "not getting it."

Jin saying to Sun, "I told you I'd get you off this island." (Man, it makes you cringe when you start to speculate what might go wrong for them/him in the near future.)

Sayid's reunion with Nadia. (Made bittersweet, because we know it doesn't end well for them.)

Ben's most truthful line ever: "I wasn't being entirely truthful."

Jack learning at last that Claire is his half-sister.

And much more. And running through all the fun character stuff, a major narrative mystery. We know who the Oceanic Six are -- and we also know that Ben survives. And yet, right now, these people are all scattered all over the place, and each of them with people we know don't leave the Island. Sun's on the freighter with Aaron, but also with Jin. Hurley's outside the Orchid, but with Locke. Jack's tromping through the jungle with Sawyer. Kate and Sayid have been captured by The Others. And Ben's been captured by the freighter commandos.

So how in the hell is all this going to reconcile into the future we're seeing portrayed in the flash-forwards in this very same episode?!

Very entertaining, mind-tingling stuff. I look forward to the finale in two weeks.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

One nice moment for me was when Hurley saw Sayid standing by himself when they first got off the plane and so Hurley grabbed him and introduced him to his family. That was so Hurley.

GiromiDe said...

I liked that moment, too. I also liked when Jack found out about Claire. It was a well-written, well-acted moment.

DrHeimlich said...

Thirded.