Friday, February 20, 2009

Deadlock

Tonight's episode of Battlestar Galactica wasn't quite "bad," but I did find it disappointing, and certainly the weakest of this last batch so far. It didn't have many of the good character moments and drama that made the bulk of those shows great, nor did it pack all the answers that last week's installment did.

There were a few good moments, mostly piled in at the end. Tigh's breakdown in Adama's arms, for example, was a powerful moment, affirming that the two's friendship is as strong as ever despite the realization of Tigh as a Cylon. Very well acted by both.

But just as I never really thought Ellen Tigh did much for the show in the early days, I didn't find her doing much here. She was supposed to stir the pot, I suppose, but there have been conflicts among the Final Five already, and Ellen didn't really bring much to it, I thought.

Indeed, I was mostly just frustrated with Ellen's appearance this week, since all she did was cause Caprica Six to miscarry, sweeping a plot under the rug in a way I didn't even find as interesting as the realization that Hotdog was the true father of the Chief's baby. Did the writers always have planned for Six and Tigh's baby to miscarry from the moment they began the plot, or was this a sudden change of course to prepare for the upcoming ending? I suppose it's consistent with the tone of the show at its best -- bad things happening to people. But it just felt like the jettisoning of a story they'd decided wasn't going anywhere.

I was perplexed by Roslin's scene with Six, in which the president says she hadn't considered there might be something "special" about the Cylon child. First of all, nothing seemed unusual to her about two Cylons producing a biological offspring? Has she not been watching the show? And secondly, why is she suddenly at all invested in "miracles" once again? On the subject of religion, we last saw her burning out the pages of her holy book. If she's having another spiritual reawakening now, before the end, it didn't seem earned to me before this odd scene this week.

I suppose the reemergence of Baltar's "Head Six" was an important moment for his character, just as the arming of his "harem," on the way to a possible revolution, is an important moment for the plot. But how interesting both seem sort of remains to be seen until we see where things are going.

Four to go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they already spoiled the "big message" by mentioning the only way to move forward is with Cylons and Humans working together. and poor Liam had to go because it served the plot (cylons can't do it alone.) also, even the ship Galactica needs to become a Human-Cylon hybrid to survive.

wow did they give Tigh a bunch of drama. I still don't feel like he and Caprica 6 were as close as they claimed to be. what about Caprica's feelings for Baltar? or is that a different 6 I'm thinking about? (sometimes it's hard to keep track!) and Roslin's wierd scene felt like it should have been a DVD extra.

I really have no idea where they are going with the whole Baltar thing. I was glad to see his mental 6 back, I always enjoyed him talking to her and the other characters thinking he was talking to them instead. they are still on Galactica right? shouldn't there be less... lower-decks anarchy?

only FOUR episodes left? what the Frak! are they even trying to finish this? sure doesn't seem like it.

the mole

Jason said...

Best line of the night:

"You all work this out. I'll be in the head. Got a project I've been working on for a while."