Thursday, April 28, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 10

Day 10: A song that makes you fall asleep.

I think I reject the premise of this category. Music doesn't make me fall asleep, not literally. I simply get too engaged in listening to and dissecting the music to "nod off." I stayed overnight at a friend's house one night many, many years ago, and we slept in the same room. He listened to music to fall asleep; it kept me awake half the night.

All that aside, though, there are songs that I find "peaceful" or "calming," and I imagine that to be the general point at issue here. And to that end, there are a couple of New Age artists I'm particularly fond of. Patrick O'Hearn is one, and I considered making his song "Trust" my official pick here. I find it an especially relaxing piece of music. ("Peace" of music?)

But really, my favorite song in this genre is "Rain Maiden," by Wind Machine. Sadly, this is another song I could not find on YouTube; again, I'll have to send you over to Amazon for their 30-second sample. Wind Machine is my favorite band in the New Age genre for a variety of reasons. In no particular order:
  • They're a Colorado-local band. I've seen them in person many times, performing in area shows.
  • They're very gifted musicians. They create a distinctive sound from an instrument they call a "guitjo," a 7-stringed guitar where the three bass strings are replaced with secondary treble strings.
  • For a long stretch, the son of one of the founding members was a part of the band, a talented multi-instrumentalist (vocals, keys, synth-flute, penny-whistle, and more) who has since gone on to play in the bands of several solo artists. And this "kid" (no longer) is roughly my age. At the time I first learned of the band (in high school), I found this to be pretty inspiring.
  • Remember what I wrote about being in Little Shop of Horrors in high school? Well, we had a live band of professional musicians for the show, and the bass player was the first bass player for Wind Machine. (Yes, this is how I first learned of the band.)
Maybe you can see now why music doesn't put me to sleep. Could you fall asleep with all those thoughts swirling through your head?

No comments: