Saturday, April 23, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 8

Day 8: A song that you know all the words to.

This felt like another weird category to me. I know all the words to literally thousands of songs. I'll bet you do too (or hundreds, at least). How do you whittle that down and pick just one song?

After pondering this for a while, I supposed that perhaps I should be picking a song where it's unusual to know all the words. Everybody knows the lyrics to "Happy Birthday." Tons of people know all the words to any given #1 hit single.

But how many people know all the words to "Yakko's World"?



I do. And it has come in handy on a few trivia nights.

I briefly thought about picking "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon for this slot. But seriously... for sheer lyrical weight, what could compete with "Yakko's World?" Maybe Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" -- but I don't know all the words to that.

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Awesome! I love this song, so I can appreciate how impresive and unusual it is to know all the words. An old roommate and I had it as our voice mail message for awhile. Our thinking was that most people would just hang up, but it mostly just pissed people off. It was so funny how many people begged us to change it. :D

Major Rakal said...

I'm impressed. How long did it take you to memorize that?

Heck, I'm a chemist, and I don't even know all the words to "The Elements". Or, to be more accurate, I suppose I do know the words, just not in the same order they come in Tom Lehrer's lyrics.

DrHeimlich said...

It took probably more time to learn than I should have devoted to it. :-)