Wednesday, April 20, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 7

The "30 Day Song Challenge" continues...

Day 7: A song that reminds you of a certain event.

Here's where I'm going to use my "official" slot for a Star Trek related memory, by picking "Captain Borg," the piece Ron Jones composed for the final few minutes of the the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Best of Both Worlds."



Few cliffhangers on television -- ever -- have matched the intensity of this third season finale. You couldn't just hop on the internet immediately and find out if Patrick Stewart really was leaving the show. All you could do was wait four months to see how it all turned out.

I remember watching this episode over at a friend's house. We were watching in a side room, on the edge of our seats. When the music reached its crescendo and the words "To Be Continued" appeared on the screen, we heard her mother's anguished cry at ear-splitting levels from the other room: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!" We had no idea she was watching it too. But she had pretty accurately vocalized what I was feeling. Quite a moment.

A distant second in this Challenge slot was "Ouverture · Ramsani," from the Cirque du Soleil show Mystère. (Sorry, but the best I can do for a link in this case is to point you to the 30-second sample at Amazon.) I've seen Mystère three times now. The first was both my first time ever seeing Cirque du Soleil -- in person or recorded -- and my first time ever traveling to Las Vegas. So in the midst of a trip that was already kind of blowing my mind, Mystère opened with this song, and an incredible visual display that pegged the "holy crap!" meter at the top of the dial. An "event" indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG watching that scene music-only was a little like (awesome) karaoke. the dialogue is like the lyrics and I was singing along.

truly an epic TV moment in an era when the term "spoilers" didn't exist. I'm glad to have been witness to it (for the entire summer on anguish this episode caused hehe.)

the mole