Sunday, April 03, 2011

An Ice Evening

While I've been to the Pepsi Center before for a concert, I'd never been there for an actual sporting event. I surely wasn't going to break that "streak" with a Nuggets game. But for an Avalanche game? With the right person? Sure, I'm game for that!

Of course, if you follow hockey even a little, you probably know that the Avs have been having a bad season -- and an epicly bad couple of months. A win was not expected tonight, and they did not disappoint. Which, if you're a fan, is to say they did disappoint. Nevertheless, I had a great time.

Though spread out across many years, I've now been to a pro football, basketball, baseball, and hockey game. The "competition" wasn't even close. Baseball just bores me; I can distract myself with the "experience" of being at a game for a few innings, but lose interest long before the game is over. I can't even muster that much interest in the interminable stops and starts of a football game. And basketball I find too repetitive. But the hockey game? Yeah, I had fun, and was even kinda starting to see the appeal there.

Those who've known me for a long time are now free to laugh their heads off at me.

5 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

OK, who's the guest author? ;)

Anonymous said...

Very funny, Roland!

But yes, I also find hockey the most fun sport to watch. It's almost always in motion... and there's something beautiful about the geometry of the game that really appeals to some part of my brain.

I really have to haul myself over to the Bell Center and watch another Canadians game live -- but the tickets are SO expensive.
Like, ridiculous.

I haven't been there in a long time.

FKL

Anonymous said...

I've been to hockey games myself (local minor league stuff only) and I have to say also that it's a fun game to watch in person. I can follow it a lot better than if watching a TV game.

I had an opportunity recently to go ice skating for the first time ever. me and my sore butt now have a much better appreciation for that whole Hockey thing (and figure skating, etc...)

the mole

Unknown said...

{faints}

Sangediver said...

I can't add anything witty that Roland and Snarky haven't. However, I will say kudos to whomever who got you to go!

Now if they can just change your mind about Watchmen...