Saturday, April 09, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 3

Time for a new installment of the "30 Day Song Challenge."

Day 3: A song that makes you happy.

I'm sure that whoever came up with this song challenge thing was thinking in the context of popular music. But my iPod actually contains just as many tracks from movie and television scores as anything else. Probably more, in fact. I love soundtrack music. So my "makes you happy" song pick was going to have to be from a score.

I chose a piece by Bear McCreary, composed for the second season of Battlestar Galactica, "Prelude to War."



I know, the name doesn't quite sound right for "makes you happy," but this is just an incredible, pulse-pounding piece that pulls me to the edge of my seat and makes me start air drumming taikos every time I hear it. There are just so many fantastic escalations of theme in the piece -- at 56 seconds into the song, 2 minutes and 53 seconds in... hell, I could keep gushing about this piece for paragraphs. Long story short, this song never fails to affect my mood for the better.

If I were forced to make a more conventional pop music selection for this (though I'm not; I'm making up my own rules here), I suppose I would pick "Flathead" by The Fratellis. Bouncy, awesome fun.

No comments: