Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 6

Next up on the "30 Day Song Challenge":

Day 6: A song that reminds of you of somewhere.

This was really a two-horse race. One is a Star Trek-related memory, and since I have another one of those coming up later in the challenge, I decided to go with the other choice for my "official" selection here.

The song is "Suddenly Seymour," from the musical "Little Shop of Horrors." (The link goes to the performance in the 1986 film, which I do love. But to clarify, I'm talking just about the song in general and not this performance of it.)



I performed in each of my high school's annual musicals during my time there, and had a blast each time. (It led directly to me studying acting in college.) Sophomore year, the show was Little Shop of Horrors, and I got the plum part of Seymour. This song takes me right back to that time and place.

It's actually a bittersweet memory on a few levels. For one thing, it makes me regret a bit not pursuing acting after college (even though I love what I do now). For another, the school auditorium in which we performed all those musicals burned to the ground a few years after I graduated. They built a new one in its place -- technologically superior in every way, but still not "my" auditorium. So this memory is of a place no longer there. (sniff)

For those who are curious about the Star Trek-related version of this entry in the Challenge, my selection would have been the theme song from Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Which, for the most part, is technically Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but that's not the point here.)

On the day that Star Trek: The Next Generation first premiered (in Colorado, anyway -- it was on different nights in different syndication markets), my family had just moved into a new house. I was dying to check out the new series, and freaking out more than a little bit that the TV would not be hooked up in time for me to do so. I wound up watching the first episode, "Encounter at Farpoint," on a little 12 inch color TV in my new bedroom -- which at that point contained only a mattress and the TV, both sitting on the floor.

The theme song doesn't necessarily take me back to that place every time I hear it. But still, the memory is immediately accessible when I think back nearly 25 years ago.

No comments: