Friday, May 27, 2005

Shiny x 2

Well, I just got back from the second sneak preview of Serenity, and I have to say I liked it even more the second time. All the emotions that the movie made me feel the first time, I felt even more strongly the second time. You could attribute that to the notion that the movie is of a stature that it holds up to repeat viewings. You might also attribute it to any or all of the following:

In the last three weeks since I saw the movie the first time, I've gone back and watched every single episode of Firefly again. It was wonderful to relive once again how great that show was, and seeing the movie with it all fresh in my mind just put a bigger exclamation point on the end of it all.

The crowd was much more active this time. They were wired. Don't get me wrong, the folks at the first screening were laughin', hootin', and hollerin', but they had nothing on this group.

After the last movie I saw, something as great as Serenity became even more great by comparison.

This time, there was swag! Last time, all nine of the other cities reported getting some modest studio goodies. Denver instead got surveys to fill out. But this time I walked off with my own shiny Serenity keychain.

Jewel Staite, the actress who plays Kaylee, attended our screening! She arrived to a standing ovation, watched the movie with us, answered audience questions for a half hour afterwards, then proceeded to give autographs. I've got a personalized one on my very own mini-poster. Suitable for framing. Which I think I will.

All this love, and it's still not even a finished movie! I'm so looking forward to the finished, quality print with the real music four months from now. This movie deserves to be a monster hit, and I hope it will break out farther than just the dedicated fans who will go to see it.

In case not, here's the backup plan. Come September 30th, any time you go to the movies, to see any film, you buy a ticket to Serenity, and then sneak into whatever film you're actually there to see. Not that you can't go see Serenity a bunch of times, too -- I know I will. But I encourage everyone to pad its box office take with all the other movies you plan to see in October.

"You can't stop the signal..."

6 comments:

TheGirard said...

FANBOY!!!!!

GiromiDe said...

Crap, I need to rent the series on DVD.

thisismarcus said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I loved it too. My very brief review is 90% spoiler free BTW (just re-capped some stuff from the TV show). I'll mail you with the spoiler-ful stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Now, I double-hate you.

I went to a theater here in Charlotte on Tuesday, and there was a big advance premiere for "Dare to Dream: The Alan Kulwicki Story." You get Serenity, I get a third-rate NASCAR driver. It ain't fair.

TheGirard said...

HAH, that's what you get for moving to a NASCAR state.

I hope they issued you your "Grey" jersey a little big because the wool tends to shrink in the wash. ;)

Anonymous said...

Jewel was there?!?!? :sad:

And where was I?!?!?!?!?!?!? In hot Texas!

Damn... Double Damn with a half-twist....