Friday, May 06, 2005

Serenity Wow!

The following comments are completely spoiler free. (I would never do that to you.)

My only complaint about the movie Serenity is that I have to wait almost five months to see it again. And again. And again. I'm already busy trying to figure where in my top 100 movies list it will fall.

I felt the movie struck a perfect balance. The plot and tone resonated beautifully with the series; this could easily have been a two-hour episode of Firefly. But it was also lavish and whiz-bang; it pushed all the buttons a sci-fi blockbuster needs to. (If it had been an episode of Firefly, it would have been a gorram expensive one.)

Seeing the movie made me want to go back and watch all the episodes of the series again. And when I do, I'll definitely be seeing things in a new way. It's all the more criminal now that Fox canceled the show. But all the more awesome that such a kick-ass movie is now following in its footsteps.

Joss Whedon himself recorded a roughly three-minute introduction that ran before the film. Amidst warning us that the film was still not completely finalized (a few special effects shots and some of the music was incomplete, and the whole film had a little bit of a washed-out, "work print" quality), he praised the fans of the show. He pointed out that "sci-fi blockbusters based on canceled series do not get made. This movie should not exist. But because of you it does. And because it's all your doing, if it sucks, that's your fault too."

Don't worry, Joss. Anything but.

"You can't take the sky from me..."

5 comments:

TheGirard said...

Can you remember the last time you had high hopes going into a movie only to be not disappointed?

DrHeimlich said...

I really had to think hard about this one. Hopes this high and a movie that proved worthy of them? Maybe Signs?

I might be able to say for sure once I figure out where to place Serenity in the top 100. Great question, though.

Anonymous said...

Then there was this part where... Um... never mind...

And then Mal did... um... nevermind...

And the scene where Zoe... um... nevermind...

My life for the next 4 months...

I held the line at Serenity (There, now it is immortalized in the Blogosphere, and thus will bring an end to that joke :) )

GiromiDe said...

I'd have to say Signs as well. Se7en and The Matrix were the only films I had miniscule exposure to before seeing them in the theatre, and I walked out of both very impressed.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who like Unbreakable enough to watch it many times on DVD.

DrHeimlich said...

You're not alone. Unbreakable is in my top 10 movies. I love that film. As is The Sixth Sense. And Signs is in the top 40.

Sadly, The Village was an entirely different matter.