Monday, November 14, 2005

Revolting Development

It looks like the writing is on the wall for one of my favorite TV shows, Arrested Development. Apparently, FOX has cut their season order from 22 episodes to 13. Unless you're a cable network, that's not a full season, and not much of a sign for any future.

On the one hand, I must once again extend a raised middle finger to FOX, who have canceled so many of my favorite shows over the years.

On the other, I suppose that with ratings like Arrested Development has been getting for the last two years, it's a miracle (and not a minor one) that the show is even still here as it is.

But really, I suppose I have to give a big "what the hell?!" to TV viewers everywhere, who for reasons I cannot comprehend have not been watching this show.

This is the funniest thing on TV today. It's the funniest thing that has been on TV for many years, at least since Seinfeld. And frankly, I think it's probably funnier than Seinfeld. This show makes me laugh out loud, repeatedly, every time I watch it. Even when I watch an episode I've seen before. Even when I'm completely by myself, and not laughing for anyone's benefit but my own. The show is just plain funny.

I guess I should be glad it lasted as long as it did. It got better treatment than Firefly or Wonderfalls, at least.

3 comments:

Davíd said...

Word. I've told all my friends about it, but then, none of them are Neilsen families.

And yes, the only sitcom in recent memory that has made me laugh out loud.

Davíd said...

In another observation, I feel like Fox has a higher ratio of critically-acclaimed, low-rated shows that are cancelled before their time than any other network. At least in the past 5-10 years.

At least the show was given some time to develop (no pun intended), and will go out being really good as opposed to a shadow of its former glory. (*cough* Simpsons)

GiromiDe said...

Fox perplexes me. They let some shows run to perpetuity (The Simpsons) or to the point its momentum ceases (The X-Files, That 70s Show, Married With Children), and they let any non-ironic "outrageous sitcom" have at least a handful of forgettable episodes (too many to list), but they won't give a bona fide singular piece of spectacular writing that dares to completely erase the last forty years of its genre any fighting chance. Some day, the Long Tail will redeem this show.