Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Sweet Torture

If you've ever lived in the Denver area, or if you're a regular viewer of South Park, then you've heard of Casa Bonita. It's a unique Mexican restaurant that Cartman dubbed (not entirely inaccurately) the "Mexican Disneyland."

From the outside, it's a garish pink monstrosity with tall spire, poking out from the back corner of an otherwise almost totally defunct strip mall. It's also rather like the Tardis, in that on the inside it seems many times larger than it appears from the outside. After going through an almost cafeteria-style food line, you emerge in a crazy, decorated environment complete with a 30-foot high waterfall. Cliff divers, fire jugglers, and mariachi bands entertain the guests. There are different "rooms" in the restaurant done up to look like caves, mine shafts, dinner theaters, and more. There are two video arcades.

And the food is so far beyond God awful, I can't possibly muster the words to describe it. Imagine the worst Taco Bell you've ever had in your life. Cut that quality by a factor of 10, and we might be in the neighborhood.

Why would I go to such a place? Because it's a child's paradise.

See, my former roommate from Virginia is currently on a cross-country voyage to start a new job in California. He's traveling with his mother and young daughter, and they swung by Denver to visit me for one afternoon along the way. And I was absolutely thrilled to see them.

He grew up in Colorado Springs, and has fond childhood memories of driving up to Denver for a special trip to Casa Bonita. We all agreed it was something his little one should experience. My boss let me off work early for the special occasion, and so it was I caught a late lunch at Casa Bonita.

I knew the food was bad. I'd just forgotten how bad. Here I am typing this, about 7 hours later. I just burped, and I tasted dog meat tacos all over again. Vile.

And yet, it was worth it. Worth it to see my good friend again, and worth it to see moments like this:



I wish them all continued safe travels to the other coast.

2 comments:

GiromiDe said...

There is a correlation between the quality of Mexican food in a given metropolitan area and the number of Mexicans living in that same area.

GiromiDe said...

Oh, and I had no idea Heuer grabbed a life preserver! Great for him!