Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Week 7: Veronica Mars 4; Lost 3.

This week's TV face-off was another photo finish, and a tough one to call.

On the one hand, Lost brought us all the fallout of the shooting. Ana-Lucia's backstory was very interesting. I'm not sure it made her any more sympathetic to me (and I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to), but it certainly did explain her behavior. We now know why she's so jumpy, quick to judge, and why she was so protective of the two kids on the island, and took it so hard when The Others came for them.

On the other hand, Veronica Mars brought a story with strong dramatic and emotional impact. We got to see Veronica herself in some serious jeopardy at the beginning of the hour. We got to see a really tense torture scene involving Logan -- only to find out moments later that the whole thing was staged by him and Weevil. And we got the great line about being on the bottom bunk in "Fisty McRapesalot's" cell.

In the end, what tipped the balance for me were the two reunions at the conclusion of tonight's Lost: Bernard and Rose, and Sun and Jin. That was strong stuff, especially for Bernard and Rose. It was hard not to be moved by it.

Lost is on a streak now. Can it tie up the series? Tune in next week!

3 comments:

Jono said...

Yeah, those reunions - ESPECIALLY Rose & Bernard's brought a tear to my eye... now let's hope we eventually get a flashback for those two to see how they met and fell in love.

GiromiDe said...

As much as I'd love to see that, I prefer to see Eko's first flashback first.

Shocho said...

Lost was a tearjerker, agreed. The music gets me there more than anything else.

But VM had snappy dialogue (nerdhunters might bag me and tag me), pop-culture references (help me Mars-Wan Kenobi) and mysteries that get solved! I may have to choose next week which to watch for the rest of the season, and I'm choosing Mars.