Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Week 8: Veronica Mars 5; Lost 3.

As with last week, I could have gone either way in the VM v L matchup this week.

Lost's very aptly titled episode "What Kate Did" painted in a key missing piece of the backstory, and did so in a very interesting way. We had strange new animal life on the island, in the form of Kate's horse. (I wonder if it has run into Jack's dead father out there in the jungle somewhere?) Jack-and-Kate "shippers" got cause to scream for joy, while Sawyer-and-Kate "shippers" got cause to scream in anguish. We got to see Eko and Locke really interact, and it was as interesting as we knew it would be. And the "missing bit of film" led to a very cool ending for the episode. Really, the only down side was that we don't get another episode until January 11th.

Veronica Mars managed to bring back Alyson Hannigan, even though she's busy on How I Met Your Mother every week. And not just for a walk-on scene or two. The Trina Ecchols plot was twisty and cool. We saw Veronica finally get played herself -- though she showed the intuition to figure it out in the end. And there was a tantalizing revelation on the "uber-plot" front, that apparently Jake is the father of a baby, with another girl.

In the end, the only way I was able to call this race was to let them play on my Buffy nostalgia. I ate up the Trina and Kendall Bitch-Off (reuniting "Willow" and "Cordelia") and enjoyed every delicious bite.

Burp!

2 comments:

Shocho said...

BUT... did you watch the alternate ending for this episode of Veronica Mars? It's available at AOL.com. QUITE different. Took me 3 browsers to see it, but I persevered.

http://television.aol.com/feature/veronica_mars_tv

Eko's additional bit of film didn't change anything, it just made what Michael was doing seem more dangerous. I was disappointed. Frankly, I find the whole button thing a little silly.

DavĂ­d said...

I actually liked Lost better than Veronica Mars this week. It's nice because I've felt the show had lost some oomph in the second season, but the last two episodes were really nicely done. I thought the revelations about Kate were very well done. I was a bit let down by what the missing seconds of the tape revealed, but since they seemed so insignificant, there is the mystery of why someone would bother cutting them. The button thing is silly, but I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be. Many people on the island found it a bit absurd, but it is giving people structure in their lives which is why they are adhering to it.

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate ending. I really liked Veronica Mars this week and it was great to see Hannigan and Carpenter together in a scene again, but Lost just did bit more for me. Perhaps if they had used the alternate ending, I might feel different. :)