Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Sex Was Bad

I've been aware of the existence of the Bad Sex in Fiction Award for a couple of years now. For those of you who aren't (and who didn't click the link), it's a "prize" akin to the Golden Raspberry award, given by the Literary Review to highlight the "worst, most redundant, or embarrassing description" of sex in a novel.

This year's nominees are in, and I for one think that of the three criteria I mentioned, "embarrassing" is the one being singled out. Reading these things gave me a pretty icky feeling, almost like a parent was in the room watching me or something.

Naturally, I wanted to share this icky feeling with all of you.

4 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

I remember well the winner from last year. A friend of mine was reading the book at the time it was announced and I made sure to point it out to him.

Michael J. Hercus said...

And "they" say it's difficult to get a book published...

Some of those passages didn't even qualify as English let alone literature. Yet another sign of society's downturn...

Trundling Grunt said...

Yep, they're bad all right. I feel soiled.

TheGirard said...

if you ask snider, the one that tom was listening to on the way to Origins was pretty freaking bad. It was one of the cowboy tower thing.