Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Week 5: Veronica Mars 4; Lost 1.

Veronica Mars keeps piling on the great episodes.

No question, tonight was a solid episode of Lost. But really, the big punches came in the first five minutes and the last five minutes. It was fun to see Boone again, and Locke's scenes were great as usual. Still, all the real drama and tension came at the beginning and end, with Shannon's visions of Walt... and of course what they led to. It still would have been enough for a solid win this week...

...except that Veronica Mars brought its A game once again. This episode was a huge tale reaching back into the first season to weave Abel Koontz, Clarence Weidman, and Aaron Echolls into the current season's uber-plot. Keith lost the sheriff election, another person Veronica had met turned up murdered, and we got outrageously clever lines like "what are you the head of again?" And the big cherry on the sundae: a cameo appearance by Joss Whedon. This episode had tension and excitement throughout -- not just at the beginning and the end.

Don't mistake me. I'm loving Lost so far this season. It's just that the little-UPN-show-that-could is putting it to shame week in and week out.

5 comments:

Jono said...

Well... I wouldn't get too much in love with Veronica Mars. Things aren't looking good for the show ratings-wise. They're down over season 1's... *and* they're lower than the non-cancelled Kevin Hill got in the same time slot last season.

And with American Idol returning in two months... I would bet VM's ratings will be sliding even further down the charts - unless they move it to another night.

As for LOST... I stayed away from spoilers and really enjoyed the episode... especially Boone's great line: "Doesn't death suck?".

Anonymous said...

jono: VM's ratings are not down from last year, in fact, the last two episodes were the highest rated ever. VM is up across all demos this year.

True, VM is getting lower ratings than Kevin Hill, but Kevin Hill wasn't up against Lost.

And even if VM doesn't get a third season (which I hope and think it will), it still beats Lost (and everything else on TV for that matter) week after week for sheer entertainment value.

It's almost as if the VM writers know the show is going to have a short run, so they have to cram as much plot twists and turns into each episode as possible. Insane. That episode needed a freaking flow chart, so much was going on.

Mkae said...

Note: If you're ever a TV character and a member of the opposite sex says to you "I love you. I will never let you go." then one of you is automatically dead within 60 seconds.

DavĂ­d said...

I don't know that I still find Lost to be "great". It's good and holds my interest, but I'm beginning to more and more think they have no idea where they are going with the show.

As for VM, it continues to be high quality and this was a really good episode, but not quite on the level of the rest of the season. I felt they tried to cram so much in that it got hard to follow.

Jono said...

anonymous... those last two episodes which I will admit were VM's highest of the season also happened to be against *repeat* episodes of Lost (when half of Lost's normal audience wasn't watching). But overall (according to the Entertainment Weekly articles I read) they are down from last season.

But let's see what happens over the four weeks this November when new episodes of Lost compete against VM... and then check back in Feburary when both Lost and VM compete with American Idol.

I'm not criticizing or praising VM's entertainment value. I can't... I don't watch the show. All I'm saying is when you have a good lead-in show like American's Top Model - a show that should skem more female... and then you follow it up with another show that should skew the same way the network execs might see a problem. Maybe they don't! But I bet they'll look closely at February's numbers when AI's results show starts airing.