Friday, November 02, 2007

A Colbert Report (that's a non-silent T)

This week, I read the new book I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. (Co-written with members of his writing staff from The Colbert Report, though their names aren't on the cover, of course.) It was pretty funny at times, though nearly as entertaining as The Daily Show's book from a few years back, America the Book.

Mainly, reading the Colbert book made me gain a new appreciation for his talents as a performer. He very often makes me laugh on his show, but I suppose that on some subconscious level, I took it as a given that it wouldn't be very hard to be funny playing that "character" (the fictionalized Stephen Colbert), and with quality writing behind him. I mean, it's an inherently funny character, like Bill O'Reilly.

But the truth is, though I did find the book funny, it amused me in that vaguely intellectual way... the sort of "oh yes, that is funny" reaction that doesn't ever really show on your face. Watching Colbert on the show, on the other hand, makes me laugh out loud almost every night. And really, it's not the caliber of the writing making the difference here -- it's from the same people. I figure it has to be his performance. So my hat's off.

Would I recommend the book? Probably not to everybody, but if you can't get enough of Stephen Colbert, then it's not bad. And of course, right now the book will be the only way you can get Stephen Colbert, since the Writers' Guild of America has voted to go on strike.

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

I've thumbed through it. America the Book had a goal of delivering a parody of a school textbook. I'm not sure what Colbert et. al. are doing here, but it seems a bit too "fourth wall." I would rather they had created a plain text book -- a closer parody of the ideologue books churned out every few month.