Saturday, November 24, 2007

Galactic Plumbing

I recently received Super Mario Galaxy as a birthday present. I've only been able to sample it so far, but it was enough for me to conclude a few things.

This feels a lot less like a traditional Mario game and a lot more like a Zelda game to me. (Perhaps this is because I somehow skipped over playing Super Mario Sunshine.) In any case, this is a plus in my book.

I think this is not a game for those with weak stomachs. You do a lot of running around on spheres, and it doesn't take long before your character is running any which way but with his head pointed toward the top of your television. You can push a button to "right the camera," but sometimes this re-orients things so that you're actually upside-down on the little planet you're running around on. Moving in this environment doesn't take as much getting used to as I thought it might, but looking at it certainly does.

I don't know that this is "the game you want to buy a Wii for," but it certainly is a game that makes me feel better about having purchased a Wii. It seems really fun so far, and there's no other console I could be playing it on.

Now, how I'm supposed to make time for this and Rock Band, I don't know... but I feel like I somehow want to try.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

later in the game it feels a lot more like Mario 64, with the big "flat" levels to explore. there's plenty more of that planar vertigo stuff, too, but just in case you were wondering if that was going to be the whole game since the first batch of levels are all crazy-sphere stuff (interesting directorial decision...)

and let me warn you, the levels don't really seem like they take too long to play, and after a couple you unlock more stuff, and then it's like "that place sounds cool let's check it out!" lather, rinse, repeat. then before you know it, it's 2am and dang I gotta go to work tomorrow! hehe

the mole

Sangediver said...

Good to know, I've been wondering about it. I'm not a huge Mario fan, but this has caught my interest. May have to pick it up, I need a new Wii game since I finished Zelda :(

Mkae said...

Thanks for the review. We bought this for the family for Christmas and I've been itching to try it out. I'm pretty certain my 4 and 6 year olds are going to have problems with it. They're both pretty addicted to the VERY easy Mario Party 8 so they'll want to try any Mario release.

I'm hoping to get Guitar Band 3 for Christmas and am probably going to pick up Metroid Prime: Corruption this week. If you haven't tried it, Raving Rabbids I (NOT 2) is a great game as well.

DrHeimlich said...

Yes, I do have the first installment of that freaky-ass Rabbits game. And it is pretty fun. Sorry to hear that they apparently messed up the sequel -- I was thinking of picking that up.