Monday, November 19, 2007

Newtonian Recreation

I've never quite understood why people get excited about the "physics" in video games. Probably this is because this issue really only comes up in what... First Person Shooters and realistic auto racing games? Neither of which thrill me. I mean, seriously... who says:

"Man, I was really liking that game already, but damn, those physics!"

"You know what really would have put that game over the top? Physics!"

"I've been thinking about getting that new game system, but the games they've released for it so far just don't have enough physics."

So you'd think that a game with the word physics right in the title would be a pretty big stinker in my book. But what can I say? This is pretty damn cool.

6 comments:

Shocho said...

I fell asleep in Physics in high school. Only class I ever got a D in ever. Of course, our teacher was ancient and he fell asleep in class too, so I was just doing as he did, not as he said.

Anyway, I like the crayon game a lot.

Anonymous said...

O M G that is sooooo cool!

hehe related to Shocho's story, I, too, nearly flunked high school Physics. but the teacher lived right across the street from us and was a cool guy (I honestly shouldn't have passed!)

the mole

DavĂ­d said...

I think when people say "Physics" what they really mean is a very interactive environment - which can apply to just about anything done in 3D (Grand Theft Auto, Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus) and many thing in 2D as in this crayon game and in the upcoming PS3 game Litte Big Planet. So when people get excited about physics what they are usually excited about is the ability to stack a bunch of things up, jump on top of them, and then blow them up in a way that makes sense.

Jared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared said...

Wow this is awesome. I've played through the first few levels of the game & its a great puzzle. I can't wait for the final version. I'd pay $ for this and the physics department here would probably be interested.

Dave(id) said...

very nice, great way to get the little ones (and adults) to grasp some "physics".