Monday, November 26, 2007

Decorations

Now that Thanksgiving is passed, I can no longer take issue with people having their Christmas decorations out. I saw a number of houses that had them up all last week, though, and those people are entirely too festive for their good or anyone else's.

I mean, this year had almost as many days as there can possibly be between Thanksgiving and Christmas, thanks to the extra Thursday in November. Isn't a full month (plus the week until New Year's, which is also "fair game" in my book) enough?

Also, you notice how ever couple years, there's some "new technology" in Christmas lighting that seems to seize everyone in a fad? I remember when the so-called icicle lights appeared for the first time. Every single house on the block had to get them (and those strings that still work are still in use). Well these days, the trend seems to be those giant inflatable lawn ornaments that are distant cousins of the "Wacky Wailing Arm Inflatable Tube Men." It seems no lawn can have just one.

One thing a lawn should have only one of, though (if any at all), is those wire-framed light-up reindeer. More than one, and you're just begging for prankster kids to come by and mount them on each other for a laugh. (This happened to the family across the street from my house all the time as I was growing up.)

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

The one I'm really noticing this year is the LED light strings. They're hideously expensive, but damn if they don't look pretty. I've noticed the inflatables more last year - I think they're kind of a lazy decoration for people who want to look like they did a lot of work. But that's just me. :P

GiromiDe said...

LEDs are the future, man.

I blame the next recession or depression on the amount of money spent by those who have to be festive for Valentine's Day, Easter, Fourth of July, Halloween, and Christmas every single damn year. I wish I had money in the yard ornament business.