Friday, November 16, 2007

Time For a New Toy?

So, Harmonix's brand-new music game Rock Band comes out this Tuesday... for the XBox 360 and Playstation 3, that is. The PS2 version is due next month. And up until recently, I was pretty sure I was going to wait that month and then start rocking out. But then a few things happened.

First was Guitar Hero III. I noted in reviewing it that I thought the new developers had messed up a number of things with the game. I said less about the graphics, other than to mention the butt-ugly lead singer and the way the PS2 version looked like an after-thought. Since then, I've been able to see what the game looks like on one of the "next generation" consoles, and what can I say... it looks a lot better. Way faster load times too.

Second, I learned that the PS2 version of Rock Band really is an after-thought. Its development was outsourced to another company. And while this particular article I linked to says that the translation "looks great and plays as well as the in-house developed Harmonix next-gen versions," I'm not quite willing to believe that. And I guess I shouldn't be surprised at any of this; the PS2 version was only even announced in the U.S. a few months ago.

Third, there's the downloadable content. The PS3 and XBox 360 versions are going to be adding new songs all the time through their online connectivity -- whole albums, even. And it's not like I have to have every song ever programmed for the game, but I'd certainly feel like I was missing out not to have, for example, the Police three-pack of Roxanne, Synchronicity II, and Can't Stand Losing You. And missing out on more all the time.

Fourth, if I'm going to buy the game with its pricey peripherals (the drums and the mic), what happens down the road when, inevitably, some sequel isn't available on PS2? Am I to spend that money to buy the accoutrements all over again?

So... it all seems to add up to this: I'm suddenly thinking pretty seriously about buying an XBox 360 or a Playstation 3. There's just one problem with that: up until now, I haven't wanted either of them.

I never owned an XBox, and never for a moment considered getting an XBox 360. In the nearly two years it's been around, I've never regretted not having one. It seems to my like anything worth having on that console is available for some other console. The only high profile exclusives seem to be First Person Shooters of one variety or another, which I completely despise.

On the other hand, I've loved having my Playstation 2. But I was not an "early adopter" of the system. It had already gone through two price drops before I finally picked mine up. I've always sort of assumed that I'd get a PS3 someday, but I've had one eye on the games available for it, and have yet to see anything to sell me. I've figured that, like with the PS2, I'd probably wait out a few price drops before there was a critical mass of games to get me involved.

But just one game? I've been in this position before, debating whether to upgrade my PC for Civilization IV. And while I didn't quite end up upgrading just for that game, I did soon end up upgrading. (And of course, I bought the game.)

Then I think about my Wii. I've had it since March, and I have to admit that it has been virtually a one-game console. I've picked up a few things here and there, but the only game I seem to ever play on it is the one that it comes with -- Wii Sports. But you know what? I don't regret that purchase, either. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that game, and I'm sure that eventually, more games will come. (Super Mario Galaxy is on my Christmas list.)

So, despite the somewhat scary price tag on the PS3, it seems I have plenty of precedent that type of purchase. I guess maybe I'm just looking for a nudge from somebody.

Can anyone out there think of any non-shooters that might convince me I've been wrong about XBox 360?

Does anyone out there own a PS3 and been happy with the purchase?

Any other thoughts?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

video game system advice? I might know a thing or two about that...

get a 360!

right off the top of my head, Beautiful Katamari should be right up your alley.

soon we'll get a new Banjo Kazooie game on the 360 and even though I know virtually nothing about it yet, there is no doubt it will be Awesome (with a capital A). Rare's launch title Kameo was very good, too.

and Dead or Alive Extreme 2 has the best graphics of any game I've ever seen. might have something to do with the subject matter though... :) it sounds silly but the wave racing is good and it's a very um, "relaxing" game hehe

but in general, the PS3 is tanking. big time. they just flat out fell down off the starting line with NO good games. so no systems sold. remember last year when nobody could find a Wii and PS3s were still available on Xmas Eve?

now the game companies do not consider the PS3 to have enough of a user base to make profitable margin on developing exclusive games. it's the same trap the Gamecube fell into, except Sony can't make their own Mario/Zelda/Metroid games to half-save the system.

AND the new cheaper version of the PS3 *removed* the backward-compatibility for PS2 and PS1 games! there's no denying that the PS3 is a technically powerful system but all that millions of polygons or whatever specs don't mean a thing if there are no games to play on it.

the mole

Jared said...

One not about the 360, you can get good used ones on ebay but you MUST buy one with a warranty (new or used). I have 2 (they function as DVR extenders for my windows desktop) and the BOTH have had the red ring of fire. Its the only warranty that's like 80% chance of needing it.

Its a great system though. Oh, and don't get the core system, you'll want the hard drive. You can't play original xbox games without it.

Chris Lobban said...

I'm currently pondering the same thing. Here's my current pro/con list between the two.
Pro's for X-Box 360:
- Works as an Extender for my Windows Media Centre, so I can move the extender I've already got into the bedroom and watch recorded TV there as well.
- Cheaper than the PS3.

Pro's for PS3:
- Plays my PS2 games (but really, my PS2 isn't going anywhere so why bother?)
- Interacts with my PSP (but not anywhere near as well as they'd originally advertised it would)
- Will have Final Fantasy 13

So basically it's come down to one game vs a more multi-functional system. Or in other words... XBox 360 is currently in the lead in my mind. I had my mind set on a PS3 for a long time, but I think I've got to let go of that soon, unless I can find somebody with a really good argument to convince me it's worth it.

Sangediver said...

My only advice is that the PS3 still doesn't really show an promise of anything other than Rock Band coming out for it. Everything that has come out that was hyped as the "console seller" - blew goats.

The 360 by far has the most games available, even if there are a large number of shooters. There are other options, Viva Pinata is supposed to be great, and the Mole's right, everyone loves Katamari!!

Plus I know that a mutual friend is selling his - you could probably get a good deal. A cheap red ring of death is better than an expensive one!

Although really it doesn't matter - at least I'll know someone that will have Rock Band to bring to Poker night ;)

Cush1978 said...

I'm in the same boat as you and I have a Wii. I want to buy Rock Band for a modern system to utilize the downloadable content so I'm evaluating a 360 or a PS3.

I read in your post that you upgraded your PC. Anything worth playing on the 360 WILL eventually turn up for the PC, assuming you have the hardware to play it.

The PS2 took quite awhile to release any decent games. It was a good year before the system hit its stride. Will that happen with the PS3? Who knows? It's fairly clear that it's a superior piece of hardware, but as we know, hardware doesn't make a game console. I think with a few solid titles (Gran Turismo 5, Hot Shots Golf 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and the sure-to-come God of War title), the PS3 may find its way back into mainstream gaming.

Look at the PSP (another superior piece of hardware); people declared it a dead system and now with a competitive price point and decent games (and custom firmware, sure) it's started to see better sales and increased popularity.

I haven't decided to purchase either one yet; I don't have a compelling enough reason, but I believe the purchase of a PS3 is probably more of a "when" than an "if". I can't predict the future, but that's where I'd place my money.

MidnightLich said...

Don't underestimate how cool X-Box Live is. Not only can you engage in play with friends across the country, a lot of the games you can download for it are fun and addictive. (My roommate had an X-Box 360, and a downloaded game called Galaxy Wars. I spent HOURS on it...)

I know the PS3 has some online garbage, but X-Box Live is tuned, and it's reliable.

DavĂ­d said...

Xbox Live Arcade has pretty much sold me on getting a 360 eventually. Two games that might sway you? Settlers of Cataan and Carcasonne. Additionally, Bomberman, Worms, Alien Hominid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Geometry Wars, Pac Man Championship Edition, Puzzle Quest, Streets of Rage 2, and Super Puzzle Fighter II are all supposed to be good.

The 360 currently has a much better online infrastructure than the PS3 (and both are league better than the Wii).

As for non-first person shooters that are worthwhile, I'm currently interested in Crackdown, Dead Rising, Earth Defense Force 2017, Oblivion, and Viva Pinata (and Gears of War is a third person shooter if that matters to you).

The PS3 is finally beginning to get exclusive games that pique my interest in the trio of Ratchet and Clank, Assassin's Creed, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

So for me, I'm getting the 360 (hopefully next month, though maybe not until January) for my Rock Band enjoyment.

Sandy said...

I was looking at Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and my nephew said to get a 360HD. Any pros/cons?

DrHeimlich said...

Sandy,

If it's purely a matter of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray (as in, the game systems that might come attached to those movie formats doesn't enter into it), then I personally would still abstain for a while. But made to pick one or the other, I'd choose Blu-ray. The folks at thedigitalbits.com wrote a very compelling article why this was their pick, and I think their editorial staff is on the ball.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/soapbox/soap060107.html

Sandy said...

Thanks Evan

I've been waiting but it seems like they're not going to resolve the Blu-ray / HD DVD "fight" anytime soon.

I'm about resigned to eventually getting both a Blu-ray and a HD DVD player, or else a dual player. Though the latter seems still in the expensive-and-experimental stage.

Thanks for the link to thedigitalbits.com... good article.

Sandy