Thursday, October 16, 2008

Denial Tone

Last night at trivia, while I was walking one of our team's answers up to turn into the host, I bumped my leg into the corner of a table. I didn't hit so hard that it hurt, but I do remember vaguely thinking at the time, "damn, I hit that pretty hard there." Yet I thought nothing more of it after another second or two.

That is, until I got home and took my cell phone out of my pocket:



I've known a lot of people who have had cracked screens on their phones, or even accidentally washed them in the laundry, but nothing like that had ever happened to me before. The phone actually still works just fine, but nevertheless... well...

Dammit.

So now begins the little unintentional experiment on myself. How much is this going to bother me? I've got about six months left on my current cell phone contract. If I can hang on until then, I can just get another phone, undoubtedly more featured and generally better than this phone, for free. But if I decide before then that this completely cosmetic thing demands I "upgrade the apparatus," that's going to cost me... well, probably a couple hundred dollars at least, right?

Must deny stupid impulse.

Dammit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is awesome. from a certain point of view (hehe it's an old SW quote so it's still good right?) I'm always worried about keeping my cellphone clean and scratch-free and stuff. like I don't put it in the same pocket as my keys or loose change to avoid getting it messed up. now you can throw that thing around stress-free.

plus it might give you some street cred' or you could use it to illustrate the effect "the economy" is having on you, or any other number of interesting conversation topics ("I got into a fight, you should see the other guy's cell phone. Had to go to the hospital!")

the mole

Sangediver said...

Been taking cell phone care tips from me?

Jared said...

Look online for a phone that's new or used, even if your contract is up for renewal. My wife's phone stopped working & they wanted to add another year on her contract to give me the promotional pricing. She didn't need anything other than phone & txting. I found out that if you buy/get a phone on your own & activate it, you stay month-to-month and don't extend your contract. Usually their "discounts" are pretty bogus anyways so why lock yourself in. This way you can drop them anytime if you wanted to move or switch phone carriers for a better deal.

Just make sure you get a compatible phone. The easiest way to know is if it has your phone company's name printed on it.