Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stop Sending Me Election Mail!

Every single day for the last several weeks, my mailbox has been stuffed with flyers, pamphlets, brochures... miscellaneous crap from this candidate or that activist group trying to get me to vote for this person, or against that issue, or what not. Par for the course at this time of year, naturally. I'm sure if you live in the U.S. right now, you could tell the same story.

The thing that annoys me, though: I've already voted. I mailed in my ballot last weekend. It's done. And I wish I could tell these jerks mailing me all this crap. I mean, not that I actually wanted any of it before I voted, but now it's even more pointless. I wish there was someone I could scream at to say:

Stop sending me this junk! Save some trees! Donate the money you're spending in postage to me to some charity or something. Stop trying to act like you're doing good for society and actual do some good for society!!!

6 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

LOL...maybe you're getting all of the junk mail that I'm supposed to get?

I haven't gotten One. Single. Piece.

And I'm registered unaffiliated...you think I'd get bombarded from both sides!

But yes, hearing from you and many others, it amuses me greatly how much junk mail is sent out by candidates and committees who claim to be so dedicated to the environment and saving the planet from global warming and all the other ills.

"Let me give you a flyer talking about how we're wholesale cutting down forests and how to stop it."

"Um...stop printing flyers?"

This is why I'm not allowed to run for office...

Anonymous said...

"I'm the mole and I approved this message."

I really enjoy analyzing the negative ads. like when they say candidate X is going to do something bad, are you really supposed to think that they have an evil agenda to hurt everybody? when you find the message they are trying to manipulate you into thinking it all seems kinda absurd.

I also think it's funny when you see a commercial that does not have the endorsement of the candidate. (...the X committee is responsible for the content of this ad...) those are the most manipulative and humorous.

of course the scary part is that the manipulations are a real part of the politics, but that's a whole other thing...

the mole

if you are worried about the trees just imagine that right now somebody is printing a whole bunch of "McCain wins" and "Obama wins" hats and shirts. half of which will never get used!

Anonymous said...

If it's like the NFL Superbowl t-shirts for the losing team, they are sent to third world countries (hopefully! Then again, you'll have entire villages in the middle Africa that won't only believe that Buffalo won 4 Superbowls in the '90s, but that Obama/McCain is the 2008 president, replacing John Kerry).

http://natnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/nicaragua_patriots.jpg

Jared said...

If only the cable/satellite company was that good at getting to your house.

Jason said...

I wish I only got junk mail. Instead, I get phone calls nearly every day from some senator or whatever (and a call yesterday from Michelle Obama) wanting me to vote for them.

Sangediver said...

What scares me is that it frakking works on some people. You know there are people out there that actually believe the drivel printed on those.