Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Admitting You're Wrong With Style

The Back to the Future Trilogy was released on DVD about a year-and-a-half ago. The first film is my very favorite movie of all time, so I of course was there on day one to buy the set.

But there was trouble in paradise. Apparently, in mastering the DVDs for Parts II and III, they messed up the framing in a couple of scenes, cropping out parts of the picture. But Universal stepped up to the plate, admitted they were wrong, and offered a free exchange for a corrected version to anyone who bought the set.

I had known about the mistakes and the offer for some time, but had been a little too lazy to actually see about getting it done. I guess I thought it would be a bit of a hassle. But another Back to the Future lovin' friend turned me on to this web site, which thoroughly explains the problem, and what you need to do to fix it.

I called the number, they sent me the pre-stamped mailer to return the defective discs in, and yesterday I received the corrected versions. From phone call to replacements, the whole process took a mere three weeks. And all at no cost to me. So bravo, Universal, for sucking up a sizable expense and doing the right thing.

...as opposed to 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm, who screwed things up on the Star Wars DVD and won't admit it. I'm not talking about the stupid tinkering Lucas admits to, I'm talking about the audio glitches detailed here.

"I am altering the trilogy. Pray I don't alter it any further."

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

This is heavy!

We hadn't yet watched the next two parts, so we're flabbergasted! I'll send our copies out right away!

Doctor, you're a lifesaver. Wint-o-green to be exact.