Saturday, April 16, 2005

Six Degrees of Quality Television

I'm surprised it took until my fourth post on this blog to start talking about TV. After all, I watch tons of it. Not random junk, either. I'm in "appointment TV" land on over a dozen different shows right now. I think people who say there's nothing good on TV really aren't looking hard. Or have a Grinch-esque lump of coal where their heart should be. Or both.

Not only is there actually quality TV out there to be viewed, but this week, I discovered that there are some fun connections between some of the best shows. Case in point: I've been watching the complete series of Wonderfalls on DVD over the last week or two. (Just finished this afternoon. What a great, great show! Strongly recommended.)

Well, in episode 2, there's a class reunion party going on in a bar, and surprisingly enough, the song they're playing in the background is The Dandy Warhols' "We Used to Be Friends," aka the theme song from Veronica Mars. (As an aside, how unexpected -- but totally awesome -- was this bit of news?!)

Then, as I was drawing near the final handful of Wonderfalls episodes (sniff), who should show up as a recurring character but Jewel Staite, Kaylee of the veritable Citizen Kane of brilliant-but-cancelled TV shows, Firefly.

It's all connected, you see.

The also brilliant-but-cancelled TV show Miracles comes out on DVD this coming Tuesday, and I'll probably be tearing into the unaired episodes there in short order. I guess we'll see if any more fun kinds of connections show up.

2 comments:

GiromiDe said...

That which must be placed on our TiVo:

Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Enterprise (might as well watch the rest of it)
Everybody Loves Raymond
Lost
Stargate: Atlantis
Stargate: SG-1
The Amazing Race
The Apprentice
The Office
Without a Trace

Recorded but often forgotten:

24 (my wife watches for me)
Alias (we have seven weeks piled up)

GiromiDe said...

Getting back to the Six Degrees thing, David Fury is leaving Lost for 24. He'll be joined by Manny Coto from Odyssey Five and the last two seasons of Enterprise.

If it were up to me, Fury would stay parked at Lost. The series is newer and deserves at least two guaranteed quality seasons -- at par with other J. J. Abrams projects. I don't know if there is anything else worth exploring in 24. What other kind of terrorist-related catastrophe hasn't been covered?