Sunday, April 24, 2005

May "the Force" Be With You!

As if I had a choice. Right now, "the Force" is everywhere.

That's right, I'm talking about marketing tie-ins to Episode III. Thumb through a magazine, walk through a grocery store, turn on the TV -- you'll be flooded with images of Darth Vader, Chewbacca, and crap CG Yoda. ("CG creature, I knew Yoda. I loved Yoda. And you are, sir, are no Yoda.")

The grocery store near my apartment has a display up front complete with giant actor cut-outs, where all the illogical tie-ins are gathered. Star Wars Pepsi, Star Wars Lays, Star Wars Pop Tarts, Star Wars Cereal, you name it.

I think the weirdest tie-in I've seen so far is an ad in Premiere magazine for Cingular Wireless, something to the effect of "don't turn to the Dark Side, use our cell phone service." Second weirdest, putting C-3PO and R2-D2 on the front of the Corn Flakes boxes. As if they could have a bowl.

May 19th can't get here fast enough. Not because I'm eager to see the movie, but because I'm eager to jab a stake through Star Wars' heart and be done with it. No, check that. George Lucas stabbed a stake through Star Wars' heart 6 years ago. He whacked on the end of it with a hammer a bunch of times 3 years ago. But the damn thing hasn't died yet.

It's like Jason Vorhees, only the evil killer is wearing a different color mask.

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

What I find amusing about all the advertising is that George Lucas has cautioned that Episode III is not for young kids. You might as well buy your five-year-old a box of Closer Flakes or Amityville-Os.

Episode III is likely not the end of Star Wars though Lucas has said he will not involve himself with the franchise in the future. A live-action television series might be in the works, and I'd imagine the popular Cartoon Network mini-series may blossom into something else. Just as Rick Berman and Paramount wouldn't let us get past Star Trek, his more evil twin Rick McCallum and Lucasfilm will struggle to keep Star Wars in the zeitgeist.