Friday, April 29, 2005

Sickeningly Sweet

This week's 24 actor crossover trifecta is complete, as Gregory Itzin (currently appearing as idiot president Charles Logan) showed up -- very briefly -- on this week's Enterprise.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I thought of the conclusion of the Mirror Universe two-parter. The plot was rather interesting, I suppose. However, I felt like even more than usual, the writers were trying to "impress" me or something with the cavalcade of original series references. Let's see, we had an Orion female, an Andorian, a Gorn, a bunch of Tholians spinning a web, a mirror Vulcan with a goatee, and a bevy of classic original series sound effects. Way too much of a good thing. It was like pigging out on Halloween candy until it makes you sick. Complete with all the people dressing up in strange costumes.

Only 3 more episodes (and 2 more weeks) to go before I'm free of this prison.

3 comments:

GiromiDe said...

While I could stand the Tholian scenes, the Gorn fight scene was terrible. The classic cheese factor of "Arena" instantly beats the CGI almost-thereness in this installment.

I assume when Sato referred to herself as "Empress Sato" at the end, she was referring to her ship's superior firepower. I hope I didn't miss some nuance that she was actually the Empress all along. In other words, was the ending "dun dun DUNNNNNNN" or "wha WHAAAA"? That ending was just absolutely poorly executed.

Major Rakal said...

I was somewhat confused by the ending. My take was that Hoshi had poisoned Archer so that she could take over as Empress rather than him becoming Emperor.

But more important, how can this episode be reconciled with The Tholian Web? If the Defiant is in the mirror universe in the past and was taken away from Tholian space by Mirror Archer, how did Kirk and crew encounter it in the 23rd century? Or was the whole point that after Kirk was recovered, the Defiant then slipped into the mirror past and stayed there?

For that matter, wouldn't it be a bit odd that in the 23rd century mirror universe, there seems to have been no knowledge of a previous crossover?

DrHeimlich said...

Yes, I concur with the "Hoshi poisoned Archer to then take the Defiant and become Empress" ending.

Not only is the "lack of previous crossover knowledge come 'Mirror, Mirror'" suspect, but the continued existence of the Defiant in the Mirror universe is even more so. Did they not study it top to bottom to learn new technological secrets to strengthen their Empire? It might not have jumped them 100 years forward overnight, but it should have gotten them a jumpstart on things. Enough to the point where, come Mirror, Mirror time, they should have been technologically ahead of the normal universe. And yet, that proved not to be the case.

This is why when the Avenger was firing on the Defiant, I assumed it would win. Only by destroying the Defiant did I figure something approaching consistency in the timeline be achieved. So, I guess points to the writers for surprising me. But boo to them for choosing a completely illogical ending.