Sunday, April 17, 2005

And speaking of exercise-oriented gaming...

Last weekend, I had some friends over for Saturday night fun, and we popped in AntiGrav. Another quality Christmas gift from my old roommate, but I'd been really struggling to get any better at playing it. Well, last Saturday, one of my guests did the unexpected. The unthinkable.

She read the rulebook.

Hot damn! What a world opened up then! It turns out that when you catch big air in AntiGrav, a series of symbols pops up on the bottom of the screen, showing a series of hand motions you perform, in order, to put together a "Super Trick." Suddenly, you go from an on-average 500 points per landed trick to 4,000+. Next thing you know, we're being shower in new tracks, new boards, new everything.

You'd think after all that time playing SSX and Tony Hawk, I'd be asking myself "I wonder how you do Super Tricks?" They do seem to be a staple of that genre. And yes, as someone who has written my share of rulebooks, it pains me to find myself in the RTFM situation.

Suffice it to say, that's not going to happen again any time soon.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Here's what's lame. I read the rulebook too, and I still can't do the tricks. I don't think the camera likes my back wall. That's my excuse.

Uh huh.

Yeah.

Right.

DrHeimlich said...

I was having a little trouble with the camera too. But we played around with it and found the "low light level" setting in the AntiGrav Options menu, and the performance was greatly improved. It may solve the problem for you, it may not. If you haven't tried it already, though, it's worth a shot.

Shocho said...

Mmm yummy rules goodness. I love stories like this.

Anonymous said...

Tsk, tsk, and how many times did you scold Star Trek players about not reading the rulebook (or the FAQ; I wouldn't make anyone try to find useful information in the First Edition rulebook).