Saturday, April 16, 2005

Romeo and Juliet; Act II, scene ii

I don't often go against what Shakespeare said, but I have to say that titles are pretty important. I procrastinated starting up this blog for a long time, trying to come up with a halfway decent title for it.

I started in the pretty obvious realm, looking for some handy pun I could make incorporating the word "blog." I thought it might be fun to include a pop culture reference or two. This came up really dry.

I could have gone with "Blog, Blog / It's Better Than Bad, It's Good!" But that's a ridiculously long name for a blog, and the truth is I'm not that much a Ren and Stimpy fan.

I thought about "My Blog Says Hi," but I wasn't sure anyone would get that I was trying to refer to Twin Peaks. And "The Blog Lady" was right out. AND I don't much like Twin Peaks either.

I didn't want to completely categorize myself as a Star Trek geek, so "Captain's Blog" was not considered seriously. Not to mention the fact that it's not very clever. Try a Google search on that phrase. Don't worry, I've done the legwork for you.

That's when I realized there are so many blogs flooding cyberspace, I was never going to think of a "blog" pun I liked that hadn't been thoroughly covered by plenty of other people. So I decided to just stick with the Eddie Izzard reference I'd been using so much lately (to "Dr. Heimlich" -- aren't you paying attention?), and "invent a Maneuver."

I thought I'd cover all this in the event someone came to read my blog before I got around to posting something on it. I looked at the lonely "yup, I got a blog" post and decided it needed company before I went to bed. Now I've taken care of that.

3 comments:

GiromiDe said...

You could have gone for a Kids in the Hall reference with "The Blog Stays; You Go!" or "Hey, You're That Blog Guy!" or "You Owe Me Fifty Bucks You Faux French Blog!"

Nonetheless, me likey the Heimlich Maneuvers. At the very least, you'll be teaching people how the spell "maneuvers", which I used to think followed the mnemonic "Man, You Ever."

Here's to the start of something... uh... something!

DrHeimlich said...

Ooo! Kids in the Hall! That would have been awesome!

Funny story this. I believe myself to be a pretty big Kids in the Hall fan. I have both of the two DVD box sets that are out so far (seasons 1 and 2). And I've watched them all.

And yet...

A couple months ago, a trivia question came along (KVSC Trivia gang, you'll remember this one!) that asked to identify "what TV show is this clip associated with?" And they played a line from the famous and funny "Eradicator" squash court sketch. Not the actual line "Eeeee-RAD-icator!!!!!" (That would have been a *total* giveaway.) Some other line. And yet, I could not identify it.

Fortunately, someone else in the trivia team took up the slack I dropped on that one.

Shocho said...

I'm on my third blog name. Sigh. I'm still not sure I like the one I have. Blogger makes it easy to change the name of the blog (although the URL stays the same). I contain multitudes. Sigh.