Thursday, December 01, 2005

Elton John Meets The Lone Ranger Meets Bill Cosby

Soon, the movie Brokeback Mountain will be hitting theaters. This is the independent film of growing notoriety, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall as gay cowboys.

I don't think I'm going to be seeing this movie. Not because of the subject matter, mind you. Well, wait... it's exactly because of the subject matter, but it's all South Park's fault.

Some of you may recall the rather well-known South Park episode, Chef's Salty Chocolate Balls. It used to be well known for Chef's titular song. But now, I'll always think first of Cartman's prophetic statement, that all independent films are about "gay cowboys eating pudding."

I don't care how amazing the acting is, or how good the story is... if I go see Brokeback Mountain, I will be waiting for the scene in which one or both of the main characters starts eating pudding. Hell, if I went, I might have to sneak a cup into the theater myself. But there's no way I won't have a horrible case of the giggles from beginning to end, thank you very much Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

It turns out, of course, that not all independent films are about gay cowboys eating pudding. Here's one entertainment web site's opinion of the 50 greatest independent films ever. I was somewhat surprised to find that I'd seen many more of them than I'd have guessed. 14 out of 50, in fact. (Which is a way higher percentage than the number of films I've seen on the AFI Top 100 list.)

I don't know that this list makes me really want to make an effort to see the others, but hey... there you go.

4 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

Funnily enough, my percentages are exactly the same (15/50 for the Indy list and 30/100 for the AFI list)

Shocho said...

Seventeen for me on the indie list. I've seen 77 of the AFI 100.

Brad said...

12/50 and 52/100 for me but of ones I haven't seen on the lists there are 10 on the indie list and maybe one 3-5 on the AFI list.

Evan, I think you once said you hadn't seen CASABLANCA? I think you will not think too highly of it [C-C+] but I think you would be entertained. So many cliche lines come from that movie alone.

Trundling Grunt said...

16 for me, mostly in the top 20. Seemed disproportionately horrific I thought and that's a genre I avoid.