Sunday, January 29, 2006

Double Standard

I find our society's views on sports fandom to be entirely hypocritical. And it's always at its worst during a playoff season.

Last Sunday, when the game in which the Broncos got pretty thoroughly destroyed was just beginning, I was out with some friends of mine at lunch. We were planning to go to a movie after we ate, and politely mentioned to our server that we were in a bit of a hurry because we had somewhere to be.

"Oh... you gotta get home to watch the Broncos, right?"

No, we told her. We couldn't care less. We were going to see Match Point.

Well, she looked at us like each of us had sprouted a second head. She really poked at us, too. "What? Are you serious?" She really could not believe it.

Do people get like that when... say, you tell them that you don't watch CSI: Miami?

When a big game day comes, if you walk out in public, every other person has some bit of sports memorabilia on: caps, t-shirts, some even official jerseys. And everybody is completely fine with this. But if just one person walked around in public in... say, a Starfleet uniform, everyone would be pointing and staring, and probably not making much of an effort to be polite and hide it, either.

I don't fault people their love of sports. Suits me fine. And I'm not saying I personally want to go around in a pair of Spock ears or whatever, either. I'm simply saying that we've got a vicious double standard at work when it comes to different aspects of the same phenomenon -- fandom.

5 comments:

Brad said...

I go to the one place that I feel I will be free of NFL news [the Broncos loss still hurts me] and what do I find? Evan blogging about the Broncos.

I can't escape!

;)

jtythud - seriously, a jty thud. It's not a normal thud - it's a jty one.

TheGirard said...

didn't you give someone the crook eye when they no longer watched 24.

;)

ddnmxj

Dance Dance New Mega Xtreme Jamming

Anonymous said...

I've got some Star Trek t-shirts in the current rotation, and also my UFP logo'd cap. it's kinda apples n oranges though. the outcome of normal shows is pre-determined. [can you believe those Klingons pulled it together in the 4th quarter to beat the Federation?! they totally sacked Picard!]

it's more likely that sports generate a kind of territorial patriotism compelling people to root for their favorite team. this season I'm rooting for the LA 24's...don't you be sassin the QB Bauer. he's one tough dude.

the mole

Jason said...

At last you understand why I didn't find the "Three Geeks" in season 6 of Buffy funny.

If we laugh at them, everyone laughs at them.

thisismarcus said...

I couldn't agree more with your post.