Sunday, January 01, 2006

It's All Fun and Games

Thanks to BoardGameGeek, I was able to keep a log of every game I played in 2005. Not counting online poker sessions (they weren't face-to-face, so it didn't seem right), it totalled 240 individual games.

Looking over the list, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a very "assertive" game player. While I did play a few of my favorites as much as I might have expected, many others came up really low in the count -- as low as games I'd probably choose never to play again. It seems as though most of the time, I'm content to just go along with the group.

Another funny thing about looking back over the list (which on BoardGameGeek, actually lists the dates played as well) was that in a few cases it triggered some surprisingly specific memories of where it happened, who was playing, and what it was like. I wouldn't have guessed I'd remember much about that Sleuth game on the coffee table the week before I departed Norfolk, or playing Spoons and Uno while waiting in the line to see the sneak preview of Serenity, or what was surely the longest single game of Carolus Magnus to ever be played... but one quick glance at the list and it all came rushing back.

And if you'd told me on January 1, 2005 that Ricochet Robot would be tied for my "most played game of the year" and Puerto Rico would be near the bottom of that list, I'd have thought you were completely crazy.

For those geeky enough to care, here's the full tally:

25 Words or Less (1)
Adel Verplichtet (3)
Apples to Apples (2)
Apples to Apples Junior (1)
Army of Darkness Card Game (1)
Attika (5)
Betrayal at House on the Hill (1)
Blokus (5)
Bootleggers (1)
Call of Cthulhu CCG (3)
Carcassonne (8)
Carcassonne - The City (1)
Carolus Magnus (3)
Cartagena (4)
Chinese Checkers (1)
Clans (3)
Colossal Arena (3)
Compatibility (1)
Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix (1)
Doge (1)
Domaine (1)
DVONN (2)
El Grande (3)
A Game of Thrones CCG (1)
Geschenkt (7)
Goa (4)
Guesstures (1)
Guillotine (1)
Hansa (1)
Hearts (1)
HeroScape (1)
Hidden Identities (1)
High Society (2)
Hispaniola (1)
Linie 1 (1)
Louis XIV (2)
Mad About Movies (1)
Mad Gab (1)
Memoir '44 (1)
Metro (4)
Mystery of the Abbey (1)
New England (2)
Odin's Ravens (1)
Perudo (5)
Poker (5)
The Princes of Florence (3)
Pueblo (1)
Puerto Rico (4)
Pyramidis (1)
Ra (3)
Ricochet Robot (26)
RoboRally (8)
San Marco (1)
Scene It? (1)
Scene It? TV Edition (1)
Scotland Yard (1)
The Seafarers of Catan (1)
Set (8)
The Settlers of Catan (1)
Shadows Over Camelot (1)
Sleuth (3)
Sorry! (1)
Speed Scrabble (2)
Spoons (1)
Spycraft CCG (1)
Taboo (4)
Ticket to Ride (9)
Time's Up (26)
Tongiaki (1)
Too Many Cooks (2)
Torres (1)
TransAmerica (6)
Union Pacific (2)
Uno (2)
Up and Down the River (4)
Der Untergang von Pompeji (9)
Virtual (1)
Werewolf (1)
WWE Raw Deal CCG (1)
Young Jedi CCG (1)

8 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

That's pretty cool. This year, I vow to keep track of all the games I play. It certainly won't be as long as your list...

Trundling Grunt said...

Only YJCCG from the company? Happy new year btw.

Anonymous said...

techinally those YJ cards had Invader Zim and Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball pictures on them.
;-P

-the mole

GiromiDe said...

Young Jedi? Seriously? No way. Baby needs game text.

Well, I can't come close to that, unfortunately. Heck, I just started playing Scrabble this last week.

I notice you haven't played Lost Cities. I highly recommend it, but I must warn you that it will make you mad. Even the calmest of players have uttered a few curses playing this game. It's also one of those games where the top-down and bottom-up meet smack in the middle.

Aabh said...

Star Trek CCG?

You mean you never played that?

;P

<---still catching up after being out of town for a week and a half...

Kathy said...

I can't believe Princes is only tallied at three. I know we stopped playing it so much and that you were only in the same town as the other frequent Princes players for about three months of the year, but still.

Only three times of counting out the victory points backwards, me-style? Seems like a shame.

DrHeimlich said...

I don't "score" the games I work on when I'm playing them in the course of working on them -- only outside of work.

I have played Lost Cities, and kind of liked it. But it's very rare I get to play a game that takes only two players.

I just haven't pushed Princes on the group here yet. That was one of the things that jumped out at me when I saw my list, too.

Jono said...

Maybe someday you'll add Austin Powers CCG to that list - the Worlds' Daddy Pants party is still played at GenCon.