Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Revoking NBC's Hyperbole License

So, that movie I saw last weekend has been a veritable font of things to blog about. And it keeps on coming.

I mentioned the stupid, mindless programming they run before a movie. You know, basically the twenty-minute-long block of commercials-in-a-slight-disguise? Well, they had one extended ad for NBC's new Thursday night lineup, which includes (among others) My Name is Earl and The Office. The "NBC voiceover guy" billed these two as the "most original comedies on television."

Now, I like The Office. But how can anyone call an American reinterpretation of a British sitcom one of the "most original comedies on television?" It is by definition almost completely unoriginal! Okay, so they made a few minor changes. And yeah, give them credit for coming up with new episodes and storylines, and having decent success at American-izing the show without totally gutting the spirit of the Brit version. But "most original?"

Sorry, but do you know why I pulled you over? Do you know how much you were exaggerating?

11 comments:

TheGirard said...

I tried to watch Lost last night, I haven't seen an episode since the first one of season 2.

Needless to say, I got pwned. I was trying to keep up with Michelle Rodriguez and what she was all about when Adabisi walks on the screen. That's it, I throw my hands up in the air and turn the channel to some real world/road rules gauntlet challenge XVIIIX thing that the wife likes to watch.

Much like 24, if you miss significant plot twists, yer done.

Anonymous said...

It's almost like they are challenging the public to see if anyone is going to complain. my lawyer-phobia makes me think there might be a way to claim false advertising and lawsuit those "funniest movie of the year" claims that *every* comedy movie is advertized with.

but they've been getting away with it for so long, I just roll my eyes and shrug.

-the mole

GiromiDe said...

NBC has no choice but to engage in hyperbole, and I hope they descend into more ridiculous claims as the network continues to faulter. "E.R. -- the medical drama with the largest cast ever!"

But hyperbole should work both ways. "Joey -- the Friends spinoff comedy that should never ever have been produced, ever!"

Why can't they just send the real message home? "NBC Thursday night comedies -- yes, comedy's funnier without a laugh track!"

thisismarcus said...

Was the Brit version screened there? If not, as much as I hate to admit it, they might actually be justified for once :(.

rhkqqxk

Trundling Grunt said...

The UK version was screened and won an Emmy(?) - but it was on BBCAmerica so that may not count in NBCs little world.

GiromiDe said...

Marcus, we've gone over this time and again. Your version of The Office has been very successful over here. What many of us are waiting on is Doctor Who. So, please, please, prod your MP to get this thing over the pond.

Jason said...

It's the first rule of marketing (and politics):

Say it loud enough and often enough and people will believe it.

Trundling Grunt said...

Are you suggesting that Marcus' MP is a bender? I didn't realise he lived in a conservative constituency.

Kathy said...

Wait wait...a quick google search could not turn up the answer to this one.

I like to think I'm about as familiar with my Britishisms as any American who's never been there could possibly be, but I don't know what "bender" means in that context. I just have to know. Where's the Brit who has the patience to 'splain it to me?

Just longing for a larger experience of my world. Now that I spend most of my day with an infant lying on my chest, I need as much help as I can get.

thisismarcus said...

The latest news - haven't heard it myself but a trustworthy source commented on my blog - that Sci-Fi Channel have picked it up. Also the DVDs are listed but not yet available on amazon. Rejoice!

And David Tennant looks like being even more fun as Doctor #10, if the Xmas Special is anything to go by. Anyone so desperate to see it that they'd e-mail a virtual stranger can contact me. I have the best episodes of the season on my hard drive.

Trundling Grunt said...

Note to Kathy:-
bender = homosexual. I guess it comes from the phrase "as bent as a nine bob note"?