Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Revolution Will Indeed Be Televised

For those who weren't aware, the "rhythm game with prop" war has recently escalated. First we had Dance Dance Revolution. Then we had a Karaoke variant. Then we had the Donkey Konga bongos. Oh, and don't forget the maracas on the Dreamcast.

Well, now we have Guitar Hero, the game where you play guitar. I was pretty skeptical when I saw it, but after trying a copy that my friend picked up for Christmas, I became instantly addicted. I had to scour the city to find one of my own, but I think I managed to snatch up the last one for sale in all of Denver (until a restock happens, anyway).

So we've got guitar now. Seems like the prop is already there if "Guitar Hero 2" wants to add a bass line for a second player. We've got "percussion" with the bongos. We've got the singing. We're damn near the point of having a whole phony PS2 band you and your friends can play in. You can even have one of those dancers that just performs on stage and doesn't actually sing or play any instruments.

I've decided that the next "rhythm game with prop" needs to be CBCBR -- Cowbell Cowbell Revolution. It comes with an actual cowbell controller you have to whack on with a drumstick in time to the rhythm. You can play songs like "Rock Lobster" by The B-52s, "Get This Party Started" by Pink, and "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael. And if you play all the way through all the challenges in the game, you unlock "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult.

The standard rhythm game voice-overs ("good job!" "you're amazing" etc.) are provided by Christopher Walken, of course.

This is my million dollar idea, by the way. I'm calling "dibs."

10 comments:

Shocho said...

Ooh, I can't wait to get my hands on Guitar Hero. You're right about the band! This is an idea whose time has come. Somebody will make a game with four or five peripherals that costs $500 that lets a whole group play and dance.

Mkae said...

Now if only we could all watch streaming video of you jamming on your Eye Toy!

GiromiDe said...

Evan puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else. Only difference is, after he puts his pants on, he comes up with incredible game ideas.

Kathy said...

Won't let me post images in a comment, but here's a link to it:

CBCBR spokesman.

/slashes
//just seemed like a very farky thing to say
///never really done the slashes at fark
////but they're sort of fun

TheGirard said...

bust out the maracas and turn up Cup fo Life.


ole
ole
ole

Davíd said...

"I gotta have more cowbell, baby!"

With the title of your post, I assumed you were going to talk about Nintendo's next console. I mean, the controller lends itself to being a drumstick or a baton to conduct an orchestra.

Also, Guitar Hero has been on my list to get since it came out. It has been selling like hotcakes.

Anonymous said...

Definitely on my list too. I haven't heard a negative thing about it.

Kathy said...

The only negative thing I can think of to say is that if you're going to play a motion/music/rhythm game, why not play DDR or equivalent and get some darn exercise?

That being said, I'm the one who inflicted Parappa the Rappa 2 on everyone, so YMMV.

Noodles are the best, no no, can't deny, taste betta than watta, but don't ask me why.

DrHeimlich said...

Step... and turn... and signal to the left.

Do you know why I stopped the car?

(ARGH! It haunts me!)

Davíd said...

In the rain or in the snow,
I got the, got the funky flow