Sunday, January 22, 2006

Happy Anniversary

I don't generally consider myself a superstitious person. But I must admit I have a bit of a creepy feeling as I begin this week.

It was one year ago this week that I was laid off from The Company.

Now, I realize that (long distance separation from many friends notwithstanding) the end of my time there turned out to be a truly Good Thing for me. Still, it hurt like hell at the time. And the exact date will probably be etched into my brain for the rest of my days, because of the coincidental news story that circulated that day, that a psychologist had used a formula to determine that January 24th is the most depressing day of the year.

The 24th was a Monday last year, so I honestly don't know if I should be dreading the Monday or the Tuesday this week. Or neither... because the Earth's similar position in its orbit around the sun doesn't make much of a difference on events in my life.

Still, I might be just a little skittish for the next 48 hours.

6 comments:

Major Rakal said...

You and a few other people I can think of. ;-)

Oddly enough, another story about that psychologist and his formula appeared in the newspaper today. Though the formula appears to be the same, for some reason this year it supposedly yields January 23rd (i.e., today) to be the most depressing day.

I guess there must be a "Monday" factor involved.

Regardless, January 24, 2005, will indeed be forever etched on my brain as the most depressing day of my life.

GiromiDe said...

Yeah, but look at what's left at The Company now. You're all better off after The Diaspora, even if it did break up The Clique.

Could someone explain to me why The Company is still operating?

TMac said...

That stupid article came up down here also.

Major Rakal said...

Giromide: I agree that in the long run we are all better off being out of there. I would never go back even if by some miracle The Company got back on its feet and needed a webmaster again. That chapter is over and done with, for better or worse; I've moved on.

That doesn't change the fact that, as Dr Heimlich so succinctly put it, "it hurt like hell at the time." And I doubt that we'll ever forget it.

I'm not sure the question is so much why The Company is still operating as it is how they are still operating.

Kathy said...

I can guess the "why" (they are still operating), but as I don't wish to be sued or anything for posting it in a public forum, I'll refrain from speculation. After all, what the frack do I know? I never even worked there. Close, as I volunteered my ass off there for awhile and then relied on them for my health insurance and got to hear about things from the mister, but no cigar.

I was just thinking last week that the anniversary was coming up. I don't know why, but I thought it was a few days later in the month. That was an awful day, second (to me) only to the day that the axe hit our house. (Yeah, that's me, selfish to the last.) That was the breakup of the gang, though, so it will always be the day that the lights went out for us.

I suppose many of us are better off, but I know I wake up a lot of mornings (or middle of the nights, with the B) and think, "Holy Fucking Hell, I'm in the midwest!"

That just isn't normal.

And I fucking miss playing Princes or heckling whenever you guys played some game I didn't like (translation: was no good at). The premiere of 24 made me especially wistful.

Okay, done rambling now.

Major Rakal said...

"Awful day" is an understatement.

I don't really have anything to add, but I just had to have an excuse to use this word verification:

chfuphhd

Chfuphhd, I say! Chfuphhd!