Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Evil Eye

What is that thing we all do when we're driving, and some idiot in front of us does something that offends us? They're driving too slow, cutting you off, braking for no reason, whatever... and you change lanes and finally pass them...

And you stare them down as you pass.

They're never, ever looking at you when you do this. Possibly they know you're glaring at them, and they don't want to meet your steely glare. More likely, they're just completely oblivious to having done anything that would upset anyone, so they aren't looking your way. Whatever the reason, they're not looking at you.

Are we expecting to size up the driver from his or her appearance? "Aha! Well, clearly, this looks like the sort of person that would drive too slowly in front of somebody and slam on their brakes. Before, I was confused, but now I understand!" We've already made our judgment. I don't think we're looking for validation.

So we glare, even though there's zero chance it will make you feel better, or the other driver feel worse.

What is that?

4 comments:

GiromiDe said...

I suppose you want to know what an idiot looks like. Of course, if you are staring down the driver, you're not looking ahead. Who's the idiot now?

I usually given the stare-down when I'm on the highway and passing an idiot who won't get out of the left lane. The left lane is for faster drivers and for passing, moron!

DavĂ­d said...

And with the picture of Simpsons Road Rage, I thought you would be discussing this article.

TheGirard said...

usually that slow driver is some guy who is trying to take a picture of a cool license plate or some out of state plate that he needs for his collection of pictures of out of state plates.

DrHeimlich said...

David: Hadn't seen that one. More ammo for the "it's your video game, not my inferior parenting, that has made my kid a thuggish idiot" crowd. Great.

thegirard: Ha! I finished my license plate picture collection years ago. So there. ;-)